Cold starting advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold starting advice please

Ok so the truck took a lot of stirring over this morning no suprise and into minus numbers here but I have a few questions.

I'm pretty sure the glow plugs need changing and this is a job for over christmas.

I was wondering would it be worth trying a diesel redex in the tank to give it a clear out.

I'm never sure on these with diesels having used them before on petrol engines.

What are our thoughts guys?

Or failing that can anyone think of a better way to help turning the engine over in the morning, next to setting a small fire under it.
    Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Originally posted by Muddy Boots
    Ok so the truck took a lot of stirring over this morning no suprise and into minus numbers here but I have a few questions.

I'm pretty sure the glow plugs need changing and this is a job for over christmas.

I was wondering would it be worth trying a diesel redex in the tank to give it a clear out.

I'm never sure on these with diesels having used them before on petrol engines.

What are our thoughts guys?

Or failing that can anyone think of a better way to help turning the engine over in the morning, next to setting a small fire under it.
    Glow plugs are super-duper important to cold starting a Diesel. If they need changing, change them... it doesn't take long.

Plus all the usual stuff about waiting for the beep (or the relay clunk) before you start: the glow-plug indicator light is just for the fast-heat, not the main heat.

Comment

what he said ^^^^^^^^

and give the old girl some redex,i do about every 4th tank
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
        what he said ^^^^^^^^

i have tried that Graham but mandy just won't drink it.
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

what he said ^^^^^^^^

P.S. If it's really cold, you can pour some boiled water from the kettle onto various parts of the fuel system (filter is most effective)...
          but that's a last-resort -- for the Canadians, usually.

Comment

Cheers guys.

I had a check over it yestarday. Glow plug relay is clicking in fine and coil light on dash goes off. Also I have tried the approach of turning key in the ignition and then off then pack on a couple of times.

She runs as sweet as a nut when she finally stirs over but its the 10 minutes of doing nothing that concerns me.

just on another note I have checked on a couple of threads about swapping out the glow plugs how difficult is it?
            Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Boots
              Cheers guys.

I had a check over it yestarday. Glow plug relay is clicking in fine and coil light on dash goes off. Also I have tried the approach of turning key in the ignition and then off then pack on a couple of times.

She runs as sweet as a nut when she finally stirs over but its the 10 minutes of doing nothing that concerns me.

just on another note I have checked on a couple of threads about swapping out the glow plugs how difficult is it?
              Best to have a long-throat socket set, then it's a 30 minute job. If you're doing it with spanners, put 1.5 hours aside.

Not hard, just take the air intake hoses off and they're there. Search the forum & there'll be some photos.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
                A typicall reply from u m8. But then, he did walk into that one.

Maybe the batteries r struggling to stay alive in the cold weather if they r old. Glow plug replacement is a half hour-hour job, i did it in the town car park once. If u wanna use redex to clean ur system, better off replacing the fuel filter while ur at it. Fill the new filter with redex before u fit it, worked a treat for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAST
                  A typicall reply from u m8. But then, he did walk into that one.

Maybe the batteries r struggling to stay alive in the cold weather if they r old. Glow plug replacement is a half hour-hour job, i did it in the town car park once. If u wanna use redex to clean ur system, better off replacing the fuel filter while ur at it. Fill the new filter with redex before u fit it, worked a treat for me.
                  well someone had to say it lol and it was me..

Comment

morning rich !!

you dont know what your missing ,give her some disguised on her cornflakes,she'll be much more efficent !!
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

morning rich !!

you dont know what your missing ,give her some disguised on her cornflakes,she'll be much more efficent !!
                      Morning Gra

I think i'll wait till shes sleeping and just pour down her throat at least i know shes had it...

Comment

Morning Gra

I think i'll wait till shes sleeping and just pour down her throat at least i know shes had it...
                        could give her a .....ahem....minor service as well !!

(oil change may be a problem,and i have no idea where the glowplugs are )!!
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

could give her a .....ahem....minor service as well !!

(oil change may be a problem,and i have no idea where the glowplugs are )!!
                          easier to trade her in for a newer model i think... lol but i won't get much for her tho i don't think

Comment

easier to trade her in for a newer model i think... lol but i won't get much for her tho i don't think
                            well you could try an old method........rolled up newspaper and light it then hold it near the air intake,.......might ruin her lipstick though !!
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

well you could try an old method........rolled up newspaper and light it then hold it near the air intake,.......might ruin her lipstick though !!
                              rofpmsl....she better not read this thread or i will be hung drawn and quartered but that would be a good idea tho cause all the gas she has she'll explode and i could claim the life insurance then....

Comment

Working...
                              X