Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with reversing

Hi all,
    I have a recent problem with my surf when reversing, and no its not because i'm a woman LOL.
    Sometimes especially if engine cold, when i'm reversing out of my drive (or anywhere for that matter) the revs are at 1 as they should be at idle mode, my foot is almost flat to the board and the surf is moving at barely 2mph. This sometimes happens in forward as well. Its almost as if the engine has a flat spot and will not move and has been known to completely stop until i put the car in Drive and then back into reverse. Once back in Drive to go forward i travel about 250 yards and then engine suddenly roars into action and everything is fine again. Does anyone know what the problem could be so that i can fix it.
    Many thanx in anticipation.
    HELEN xx

Im not the most technical - but whats the transmission fluid level an its condition like?

Any problems on start up?

Like i said i dont know much - but might be able to work out if its down to the transmission having fault or the engine having problems.

Sorry i cant be a huge help

Comment

As Rod said, the most likely culprit is your transmission fluid, it's either low or needs replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        As Rod said, the most likely culprit is your transmission fluid, it's either low or needs replacing.

AWESOME! i was right

Comment

thanks you guys.....where do i find the transmission fluid? sorry to be a bit thick but not sure where this is.
          HELEN xx

Comment

You should be able to see an orange dipstick in your engine bay.

Start the engine up, put your foot on the brake (obviously), change it through every gear and then back, leave it in park with the engine running and check the level on the dipstick. Depending on whether it is hot or cold, it should be on the hot or cold mark....

It should also be a kind of translucent reddish colour.

Comment

___

Comment

On cold mornings, mine can be that way in both drive and reverse. I find to leave it ticking over for a couple of minutes helps, and my transmission fluid is fine.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
                  On cold mornings, mine can be that way in both drive and reverse. I find to leave it ticking over for a couple of minutes helps, and my transmission fluid is fine.
                  Thanx
                  The fluid was actualy checked when i broke down at devils punch bowl a week past saturday, when i had billowing white smoke coming from the engine bay....Fortunately it wasnt the head gasket but a small hole in my heater pipe which the AA fixed after an hour and half. Stuck at the total garage in Hindhead at 10pm with two kids wasnt my idea of fun and it really scared my 4yr old thinking we had "a bonfire in the engine" Bless him. AA guy checked all fluid levels including transmission and topped up the antifreeze cos that had spilled out and steam cleaned my engine for me.
                  I've had a thought that it could be that when i start the key, i havent been waiting for the igniters to really heat up and have been starting the engine straight off. I'll wait for my little bleep now before turning the engine over and see how that goes.
                  HELEN xx

Comment

Working...
                  X