Re-Chroming Bumpers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Chroming Bumpers?

Hey, Anyone ever had there chrome bumpers re-Chromed?
    I've got a rust spot comming thru on the corner of my front bumper.

Anyone had there's repaired this way or should I just go see Toyota with a bag of money?

Any advise welcome....

Cheers ....
    3rd Gen 96' Blue N Silver 3.0ltr TD

Originally posted by winnybob

Anyone had there's repaired this way or should I just go see Toyota with a bag of money?

Any advise welcome....

Cheers ....

Not sure about re chroming... but if you get new Milners are cheaper than Toyota.. got mine from there.. no complaints!
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Any advise welcome....

Cheers ....
      If you dont get sorted locally, you'll find some on US E-Bay. You get a lot of dollars for your pounds at the moment,so may be worth considering. Depends how badly you want it!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2464035393

Check the cost in £'s here
      http://www.xe.net/ucc/

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
        If you dont get sorted locally, you'll find some on US E-Bay. You get a lot of dollars for your pounds at the moment,so may be worth considering. Depends how badly you want it!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2464035393

Check the cost in £'s here
        http://www.xe.net/ucc/

Pete

Don't forget you'll have import tax this end too!!!
        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
          Don't forget you'll have import tax this end too!!!
          Yes, it's worth budgeting for that, but not all parcels get stopped. I've had loads of stuff sent over and only 1 parcel got billed for duty. If Milners do them, best to get it from them. Like I said, depends how badly it's wanted!!
          Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
            Yes, it's worth budgeting for that, but not all parcels get stopped. I've had loads of stuff sent over and only 1 parcel got billed for duty. If Milners do them, best to get it from them. Like I said, depends how badly it's wanted!!
            Pete
            I think theres a threshold of £30 value of the parcel. Over that you get hit for tax. I've ordered lots from US and been charged everytime excpet once when the value was £25. Of course if you can get the sender to declare the value as lower than £30 or as a gift then you may get away with it, but then if it goes missing you can only claim that value on insurance.....

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
              I think theres a threshold of £30 value of the parcel. Over that you get hit for tax. I've ordered lots from US and been charged everytime excpet once when the value was £25. Of course if you can get the sender to declare the value as lower than £30 or as a gift then you may get away with it, but then if it goes missing you can only claim that value on insurance.....

it's £18, unless it's a gift
              you've gotta pay VAT on the value of goods AND the value of postage.
              also gotta pay customs clearance charge.

usually it won't get delivered until it's paid, i've always had to go to parcelforce in kidlington to pay the charge...

last time it was £30 on declared value of $75 and $56 postage.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

emm..

Thanks all,
                I did ask milners a few weeks ago, they said they only do the plastic Front Bumpers. Funny since they do rear chrome end caps..(according to there list of body parts available)
                They said I'd have to go to Toyota for one of them.
                I may go to black plastic but add a chrome A bar to even things up abit......we'll see.

I'll give google and ebay US a try and see what there is....
                If anyone see's anything please PM so I can go look first....I'll post any results later...

Cheers

Comment

Replating rusty bumpers doesnt work because the etching process will eat away all the rust and leave you with pits and holes. Even very slightly rusty metal can be badly pitted after it has been dipped in the etching solution and the only way to get a decent surface is to have it copper plated and linished as many times as it takes to fill up the pits - this is very expensive and not economically worthwhile when you can get a brand new bumper for £250

I have damaged rear bumpers replated after straightening but for front bumpers it's usually best to buy a clean straight pickup bumper and have it plated instead of looking for an overpriced chrome Surf one.

I usually send stuff home to be chromed now but the last place in the UK I used was Juno Metal Finishers in Southend on sea. It usually costs about £100 to triple chrome plate the front or rear bumper face bars and £25/£35 each to get the ¼ bumpers done.
                  Last edited by Elvz; 7 March 2004, 19:58.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Elvz
                    Replating rusty bumpers doesnt work because the etching process will eat away all the rust and leave you with pits and holes. Even very slightly rusty metal can be badly pitted after it has been dipped in the etching solution and the only way to get a decent surface is to have it copper plated and linished as many times as it takes to fill up the pits - this is very expensive and not economically worthwhile when you can get a brand new bumper for £250

I have damaged rear bumpers replated after straightening but for front bumpers it's usually best to buy a clean straight pickup bumper and have it plated instead of looking for an overpriced chrome Surf one.

I usually send stuff home to be chromed now but the last place in the UK I used was Juno Metal Finishers in Southend on sea. It usually costs about £100 to triple chrome plate the front or rear bumper face bars and £25/£35 each to get the ¼ bumpers done.
                    Did you get the New price of £250 from Toyota?

Cheers for the info...
                    Bob

Comment

The center section of the early type front bumper is £257, the ends are £46 & £54 each. These prices are list and without VAT

Comment

Any advise welcome....

Cheers ....
                        Elvz is right about replating bumpers that have rusted.Not worth the effort and will rust again quickly.My brother is an electroplater and I have seen some very poor bumpers bought in by customers and they don't guarantee that they wont rust or blister for any period.

Have you thought about repairing and powder coating.This is what I will do to mine when I have time.The holes could be welded/brazed and then beadblasted and coated.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by Elvz
                          The center section of the early type front bumper is £257, the ends are £46 & £54 each. These prices are list and without VAT
                          Rough Trax quoted me £194 + vat , front similar , hope this helps ?

Comment

Been a while but...

Well I did source a full front chrome bumper from a jap breakers in Birmingham......

I got screwed with a less than tidy front bumper. When it arrived they delivered it to the wrong address with no paper work.
                            And guess what, when I opened up the packaging there's was a ****** great dint in the middle of it.
                            So I called them up and told them that this wasn't what I was looking for because it had a ding in the middle of it. Oh yeh was the reply, so I sent them picks to prove my point. Then they started to take the p$ss. Saying things like did you sign for it...blahdy blahh. As I hadn't they should have taken it back and refunded me but no...He then tried to sell it me for a £100 quid less...Ba$$$$d. Then after making promise after promise and many phone calls later they eventually came and picked it up. this took over 2weeks from origional delivery....

So here goes....don't cringe, I paid £250 for the bumper all in. The cheeky jeffin barstools refunded £220. They had to take £30 off me for something that was rubbish. All I can say is lesson learned. I cocked up by using my switch card istead of Visa, Visa at least gets you some insurance.

Will I use them again,.....I don't think so, will I deal with any Asian breakers..never again........ because they seem to think that taking orders is good customer service...........and un-satified customers should just go away..

And to realy naff me off I contacted Toyota at Blackburn....They gave me a price for a Brand Spanking New one for £243inc vat.......

SO the moral of the story on body parts......use visa for insurance and get a price from Toyota to give you a good yard stick before you.......

If anyone think I should post who this wonderfull customer oriented Jap breakers is, please advise......
                            Thank you and good night

Comment

Why not, post it in the dealers section
                              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

Working...
                              X