Gross weight of Surf KZN 185

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gross weight of Surf KZN 185

This seems like an impossible task to get....there are several sites that mistakenly give the kerb weight (weighbridge) (1850kgs) as the Gross VW..I think someone somewhere must have solved this problem...i'd appreciate any help...needed for registration....

Your lucky day mate!

Im not tired an im reeally bored!!

2105kg is the gross weight of the 3rd gen surf

Hope that helps.

Comment

Gross design weight

Thanks Rod.
      I was hoping for something above 2,500 as this would put it into a lower taxation category. is there a spec available that might show stuff..like Gross Combined Weight. I have a spec sheet in Japanese but my schooling ended a long time ago..I appreciate your help..
      Bill

Comment

Well, The Colorado Land Cruiser is i think 2800kg. Which the 3rd gen mostly is.

But Im not sure. I dont really understand all the weights etc.

Looks like your just out of your tax braket im afraid mate!

Sorry to be the bearer of schite news!

Comment

My 1996 has an unladen weight of 1880kg and a design gross vehicle weight of 2515kg

Not sure why the 2500kg figure is important to you, for road tax it gets dearer above 3000kg whilst for VRT if you wish it categorised as category "C" it will need to be above 2519kg or have a wheelbase exceeding 2.449m so even if you don't qualify on weight it will on wheelbase as the 3rd Gen's is 2.670m/2.675m depending on model (2wd or 4wd)
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hello Morr,
            Thanks for your reply re Weights. I'm particularly intererested in your weight figure...where did you get that ???/
            The legislation states that "Jeep-derived vans or similar vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight below 2,520 kgs or a wheel base below 2.450 metres will be classified as Category B. Now heres the CATCH..........Similar vehicles exceeding both of these thresholds will be classified as Category C vehicles. a flat rate of 40 euro VRT applies to this category. So I have to be over 2,520 kgs in weight to get the deal I want....

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by LeixlipSurf
              Hello Morr,
              Thanks for your reply re Weights. I'm particularly intererested in your weight figure...where did you get that ???/
              The legislation states that "Jeep-derived vans or similar vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight below 2,520 kgs or a wheel base below 2.450 metres will be classified as Category B. Now heres the CATCH..........Similar vehicles exceeding both of these thresholds will be classified as Category C vehicles. a flat rate of 40 euro VRT applies to this category. So I have to be over 2,520 kgs in weight to get the deal I want....

Bill
              You should still class as CAT C due to the 3rd gen wheelbase being 2.670m/2.675m which is over the 2.450 minimum req. for cat c registration.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                You should still class as CAT C due to the 3rd gen wheelbase being 2.670m/2.675m which is over the 2.450 minimum req. for cat c registration.

Message for Rod Leach

Hello Rod....rules state that both thresholds have to be exceeded for category C....i.e weight & whhelbase.....so weight should be over 2,520 and whhlbase over 2.45 metres. Now wheelbase is no prob....but getting evidence of weight is the hard part...weighbridge shows 1850..after some alterations to body work...removing rear seats etc...but its the gross vehicle weight..which (as I understand it) is the sum of (the unladen weight +plus weight of load in jeep + plus tongue weight of trailer)..so its obviousely a fairly arbitrary figure..and I'd imagine my VRT office will need convincing evidence..
                Thanks for help..
                Bill

Comment

Actually re-reading it it seems you're right and it must comply with both the weight and wheelbase rule....

Taken from http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/05_01_CETI_06.pdf (page 8)

(3) “Category B vehicle” means a vehicle (other than a Category A vehicle, a Category D vehicle, a pick-up, a motor-cycle or a listed vehicle) which:

(a) is a car derived van or jeep derived van, which has a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) not exceeding 2,519 kilograms or a wheelbase not exceeding 2.449 metres, or
                  (b) is a crew cab with a cargo area not exceeding 45% of the wheelbase and is less than 3,500 kilograms GVW, or
                  (c) is a motor caravan not exceeding 3,000 kilograms unladen weight.

My weights are taken from my DOE cert. I have the original weighbridge cert for mine somewhere, but have no idea where the DGVW comes from.
                  Maurice

Comment

BTW my weight figure is in full car spec. It was originally imported as a full passinger vehicle. The previous owner managed to get the tax class changed to commercial and had it weighed etc., he did not however remove any seats etc as he should have.
                    I later removed the rear seats and put in a flat floor. Had too as they will no longer DOE it with rear seats
                    Maurice

Comment

Working...
                    X