Need some more guidence with surf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some more guidence with surf.

Ok I put this in bullet points, to keep it simple. Ive just got back into the scene after a long time gone.

* recently aquired 93 3.0td 1kzte auto, Stock form. Got it cheap, knowing it had some problems.

* it had a known hard starting problem, perticuly when cold.

* Ive replaced the old fuel filter & fixed vacuum in tank, causing pressure loss at filter pump. Primer pump, isnt rock hard, but only take 1-2 pumps to get real hard & holds it for as long as ive been able to wait.

* Ive bench tested the glow plugs, they heat up ok, Red hot. & cleaned teminals etc when reinstalling. there getting power etc,

* Air filter doesnt look too old. & ive given it an oil change.

* injection pump Has been refurbished or had some work of motor prior to my time. probably at same time cambelt was done. about 30k ago.

* surf is a high mileage one, ( 260k)

*Has a aftermarket glow plug timer of some type. so always does a long glow ( 5-6 sec) before light goes out & starts flashing ( 3-4 times).

* has New Batteries (pair)

* Have no check engine lights occuring ( yes bulb is still ok)

Problems

* starts better when cold now, but still takes 2-3 full cranks. starter motor sound fine. Get a litte lite couloured smoke ,but not as bad as before. sometimes runs rough for a little bit, unless idle up switch used

* is actualy harder to start when warm. takes a fair few cranks (6-10) at least. but starts better if I push accelorator down to the floor. Sometimes get some black smoke with this, sometimes not.

* Has good torque up till 2200 rpm, but has bugger all power after that. It seems unwilling, & doesnt apear that it would rev past 3000 rpm much, if at all. It still blows clean, theres no visibal smoke when looking behind.

* At about 2200 -2500 rpm, i can hear a whislte come on( turbo i guess) But get no increase in power or revs, & still no smoke.

* not geting very good fuel ecconomy at all. I dont drive it hard, tyre presures are fine. have replaced rear lsd diff.

* Seems to get up to normal temp, very quickly, faster than any other diesel ive had, but does not overheat. I do have some coolant loss via a weeping top tank on the radiator, which you will be familia with.

* considering all these problems & age of the surf, It still ticks over well, pulls well up to about 60kms, usng the torque. doesnt blow any smoke of note, apart from start up. But Ive been in a few of these, & it should go better.

So im wondering if anyone can decript all this & offer some more idea's. Im thinking about getting the injectors rebuilt, but not sure if thats actually the problem, due to the lack of smoke. Ive not been able to find any vacuum or air/fuel leaks either. Im hoping to have a boost guage hooked up soon too.

look forward to your replies.
    93 ssr-x 3.0td , auto. (kzn130)

I dont know much - but what about the Injectors?

Maybe they are blocked up an its taking a few cranks to get some fuel in?! maybe?!

Like i said mate, im not the expert!

EDIT: just finished reading the rest of the post an see you noted injectors!

Im a dumba$$

Comment

I'm not getting very good fuel economy either. LOL

3.0 litres moving 2 tons with the aerodynamic properties of a house and the friction of big tyres.

Sorry but you aint gonna get Micra mpg.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Yeah well im not worried about the mpg per say, just the poor running & starting, I know that it should go better, thats why im trying to find a remedy,

I also have just found that the little white valve that goes between the manifiold & the boost sensor has a hairline crack in it, & some blow by is excaping from around the unit, not sure if its loose vac lines or not, im just replacing them now, to hook up the boost guage.

Will update later.

Comment

Another update.

The boost is absolutly fine, & ive checked the timing belt & the marks line up sweet, so all thats left is to confirm that the injection pump timing is ok, not sure how to do this though.

After that checks out ok, which i expect it will, it can surley only be an injector problem right ?

The poor thing simply cant rev above 3000 rom ? feels uneasy & harsh at that point.

Comment

it does sound like an injector prob.if you are sure that they have never been changed,then they are probably well past their sell by date
            they are generally only good for about 100.000 or so
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog007
              Another update.

The boost is absolutly fine, & ive checked the timing belt & the marks line up sweet, so all thats left is to confirm that the injection pump timing is ok, not sure how to do this though.

After that checks out ok, which i expect it will, it can surley only be an injector problem right ?

The poor thing simply cant rev above 3000 rom ? feels uneasy & harsh at that point.
              Might also be a safe mode ecu stopping the revs have you checked for fault codes
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                it does sound like an injector prob.if you are sure that they have never been changed,then they are probably well past their sell by date
                they are generally only good for about 100.000 or so
                That it's worse when hot suggests one of:
                - Air bleed in fuel / fuel overheating
                - Really bad seal of piston or valves (would be eating oil like crazy)
                - Worn pump seals

That's all I can think of this time on a Friday...

Comment

Well im pretty confident that the pump is ok, its recently had work, so id be astonished if the seals arent new.

Oil consumtion is fine. & once again no smoke apart from start up.

I might look at changing all the flexible fuel lines , just to be sure.
                  So you think that as the engine bay gets hot something is expanding & letting air in. I noticed today that after a longer run, restarting 15-60 min later was quite difficult, I had to wind it over even more than normal. Then get a small blast of black smoke for a few seconds. much to the discust of anyone near the truck.

Comment

Working...
                  X