Good grief...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good grief...........

Ok so now I have had my first off road adventure with my truck I am amazed at the ignorance shown towards them by certain members of the off road fraternity that live under the misguided belief that if it doesnt have a green oval it must be pants.

Here are some of the comments so far....

"You drive a toyota mate has it got somewhere to mount a machine gun on the back?"

"Land Rovers are the best vehicle for off roading but if you only want to use it to play at the weekend its ok for that"

"People that drive off road all week for their jobs would always choose a Land Rover."

"I have seen toyotas off road. Usually being towed out by a Landy."

I just can't get my head round this at all. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-Land Rover but come on this blinkered approach towards everything else is just sad.

What do you guys think?
    Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

The first time you get to tow their LR out of a hole they usually change their tune Mostly it's just banter but the best way to deal with it is to rise above it and let actions speak louder than words. Or you could use the rear mounted machine gun
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

You get it all the time bud mainly with land rover owners so dont let it get to you.I use a sj413 and i have never been towed by a landrover but i have recoverd loads of them from various places i even had a guy up to his axles in a 90 refuse to be pulled out by my sj so i left him to it.So next time it happens just smile and walk away and think in the back of your mind

T O S S E R
      Last edited by kiowa; 6 December 2007, 11:14.
      I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

It wasn't a landie that drove to the magnetic north pole
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

As Roger said, it's mostly ribbing, but no and then you get the naive, narrow minded, stuck-in-the mud Landrover owner/driver that has probably never driven any other 4WD.

Comment

Originally posted by kiowa

i even had a guy up to his axles in a 90 refuse to be pulled out by my sj so i left him to it.

T O S S E R
            what an utter bell end. Its crazy where does it come from i just don't understand it. I mean I was born in the West Midlands and I don't particulary feel any burning desire to wave the land Rover flag. It really gripes me we all have fun doing the same sort of thing and i know that part of this involves a degree of micky taking but to be outwardly stupid towards another motor thats shown time and time again that its more than capable and more than reliable are some of these guys really that niave.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra
              It wasn't a landie that drove to the magnetic north pole
              Long Way Down

Long Way Round.

Lovely land rovers used on that or were they landys with a nissan body kit on?

Comment

Not that I am any kind of expert on this, but in my opinion:

Originally posted by Muddy Boots
                "You drive a toyota mate has it got somewhere to mount a machine gun on the back?" moderately funnny joke

"Land Rovers are the best vehicle for off roading but if you only want to use it to play at the weekend its ok for that" arguably true, although I went in a PINK jeep wrangler in Arizona and it would go almost anywhere. most people on this site do have a surf for driving during the week and playing in at the weekend and it is indeed ok for that

"People that drive off road all week for their jobs would always choose a Land Rover." probably true

"I have seen toyotas off road. Usually being towed out by a Landy." harmless banter

Comment

1st genners take the mick out of 2nd genners for their choice of truck, and everyone with taste rips it out of the hairdresser surfs...if it happens on a surf site between different models of the same truck, then i think its a bit odd to give a sh1t about what some git in a landy wearing a flat cap and barber jacket says!!!
                  i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79

wearing a flat cap and barber jacket
                    Thats another thing - whats all that about.

Is it kind of a uniform or something.

I will need to research this further.

Just while I'm here is there a particular uniform that Surf owners should be wearing when they go off road?

Comment

don't know about offroading, but judging by the pic that have been posted here, i think most sit at the computer dressed in nothing but ladies lingerie...

Comment

yh a land rover recovery jacket

Comment

Driving around some farmer’s pay & play site in a Land Rover Defender (or a Toyota Hilux) is artificial and VERY different to driving long distances off road in the real world.

I’ve done thousands of miles driving in Africa and have generally used Toyota Hilux / Land cruisers or Mitsubishi Pajeros….. they are comfortable over 100’s of miles and very reliable. A LR Defender may be capable off road but I sure as hell would not want to spend days at a time in such a cramped & uncomfortable cabin!!!!

Land Rovers are not that common, being mainly used by British companies and embassy’s (certainly in places like Cameroon & Nigeria). There is a good reason why Japanese 4x4’s are the first choice in so many countries and that is that they are simply the best when it comes to a tough reliable off roader.

I was a Land Rover owner and club member for 5 years… owners are very passionate about their vehicles but do tend to be nostalgic and look at things through “rose tined glasses”. The fact that (older) Land Rovers need constant attention is seen as all part of the “character” of the truck (and nothing to do with the fact they are unreliable rust buckets and bottomless money pits).

Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Just while I'm here is there a particular uniform that Surf owners should be wearing when they go off road?[/QUOTE]

We have dident you get it with the stickers
                            Attached Files
                            I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

i love land rovers

Comment

Working...
                              X