did the egr block off today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did the egr block off today

as the title says, i blocked off my egr today with a couple of home made blanking plates made from 1mm thick steel plate,
    all in it took me about an hour from start to finish,
    i had done the egr mod before where you block off the vacuum pipe going to the egr valve , but it made no difference what so ever. so today i thought id do it properly and it has definately made a big difference, the amount of black smoke out the back has halved at least
    my plan is to get a couple of proper 4-5mm thick blanking plates fabricated by a mate so that i can remove the egr pipe completely and bolt the blanking plates to the ends where it used to connect,
    would any one else be interested in some blanking plates if i can get a batch fabricated at once, i will have to get a price off my mate but would think they would only be a few pounds each

a mod thats definately worth doing

animal
    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

yeah id have a em if it saves me making some
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

For a couple of quid I will plus postage of course.

Cheers JB
      www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by animal
        the amount of black smoke out the back has halved at least
        We noticed at Clee Hill the other week that you seemed to have your own personal smoke-screen. Gone now then?
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by animal
          as the title says, i blocked off my egr today with a couple of home made blanking plates made from 1mm thick steel plate,
          i had done the egr mod before where you block off the vacuum pipe going to the egr valve , but it made no difference what so ever. so today i thought id do it properly and it has definately made a big difference, the amount of black smoke out the back has halved at least
          my plan is to get a couple of proper 4-5mm thick blanking plates fabricated by a mate so that i can remove the egr pipe completely and bolt the blanking plates to the ends where it used to connect,
          would any one else be interested in some blanking plates if i can get a batch fabricated at once, i will have to get a price off my mate but would think they would only be a few pounds each

animal
          count me in - let me know how much and when
          Bunkle
          Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

me too!
            He who dies wit the most toys WINS!

Comment

If the pipes are blocked/sealed properly and it doesn't cure a smokey truck a blank plate won't change that.
              Mine are separated bent back on themselves and cable tied job done.
              Although mine was never smokey might just have been that mine was stuck shut already mind If it was stuck open your truck would struggle at idle I eliminated the egr because it's a sensible thing to do on any engine derv or petrol. Fuel pump settings sometimes need altered on high performance cars like skylines ect but they normally run upgraded pumps due to bigger injectors being fitted and increased boost levels being run.
              In theory higher combustion temps will produce pre-combustion, which could cause melted pistons and valves. But the Surfs don't suffer in this way.
              Some might argue that the re burning creates uneven temp across the head an in facts adds to head problems I might tend to agree but this is by no means proven so don't take my word for it.
              If you want to block the metal pipe with blanks instead or the rubber pipes this link is good

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/egr.htm
              Last edited by yoshie; 3 December 2007, 18:09.
              Brian

Comment

I'd be up for a set , so count me in please.

Comment

that link is good and is what i have done to mine so far, but what my plan is , is to make some thick blanking plates so that instead of putting the thin plates on where the washer would normally be, you can completely remove the short pipe and just bolt the 2 blanking plates on to where the 2 ends would go,
                  if the pipe isnt needed then theres no point it being there,

and by blanking mine of its made a hell of a difference, as apache said it was like i had my own personal smoke screen, but now its almost gone , and just cable tying the pipe to the egr valve did diddly squat so obviously my valve was obviously jammed fully open,

ive passed the 2 gaskets on to my mate and hes working on the design and producing the prototype as we speak

is the egr valve on the 3 litre the same as the 2.4 or is it different at all

animal
                  PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

[QUOTE=animal;379847]as the title says, i blocked off my egr today with a couple of home made blanking plates made from 1mm thick steel plate,

sorry for coming late to this thread but im releativly new to Surfs. Would you have any of those blanking plates your mate made, i realise it was a while ago but just a shot in the dark.
                    thanks
                    nigel
                    Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Comment

I must learn to check dates on postings. I was getting very interested there

Brummie
                      I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

when I disconnected the pipe I put a little bit of oil on the pipe that goes to the inlet that hasnt burt off so i know that the egr valve is closed.if the oil would have burned off I would have blanked it with plates.

Comment

Originally posted by cfrizzy View Post
                          when I disconnected the pipe I put a little bit of oil on the pipe that goes to the inlet that hasnt burt off so i know that the egr valve is closed.if the oil would have burned off I would have blanked it with plates.
                          Hi frizz, thats another one for you to have a look at when im down there
                          nigel

Comment

i have a set of blanking plates on my 2.4 engine if you want a set?? i think they will fit a 3L

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
                              i have a set of blanking plates on my 2.4 engine if you want a set?? i think they will fit a 3L
                              mine is a 2,4, how do you want to go about getting them to me and how much do you want for then.
                              nigel

Comment

Working...
                              X