No announcement yet.

Help! Wheel Wobble Just Won't Go away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Wheel Wobble Just Won't Go away!

Well I'm at my wits end now. Despite all new front wheel bearings being fitted, wheels balanced, bushes, tie rods etc all checked out okay, I still have a noticable wheel wobble at 30 to 40ish, also there when braking from high speed.

A mate who works for National Tyres had another good look today and said the only thing that I might be is the condition of the tyres? Although there is still plenty of tread of them he said that they weren't in particularly good nick. He didn't try and sell me new ones or anything but said that's all he could think of as everything else seemed fine.

Before I open the money pit again what would the symptoms be if the steering box was dodgy? The steering seems fine, it isn't vague and the truck doesn't wander, I just can't think of much else. Pitman arm maybe?

'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Could be knackered front shocks if it happens when braking hard.
    Could also be tyres, swap the fronts with the rears and see if the problem goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Copycat
      Well I'm at my wits end now. Despite all new front wheel bearings being fitted, wheels balanced, bushes, tie rods etc all checked out okay, I still have a noticable wheel wobble at 30 to 40ish, also there when braking from high speed.

A mate who works for National Tyres had another good look today and said the only thing that I might be is the condition of the tyres? Although there is still plenty of tread of them he said that they weren't in particularly good nick. He didn't try and sell me new ones or anything but said that's all he could think of as everything else seemed fine.

Before I open the money pit again what would the symptoms be if the steering box was dodgy? The steering seems fine, it isn't vague and the truck doesn't wander, I just can't think of much else. Pitman arm maybe?

only other thing i can add is,even if yr wheels are buckled they will balance,so could be that,why not try and find a local to you here and meet try usin their front wheels down the road?

Comment

I was reading the other day about rough tyres causing all kinds of problems!

Ok, so fair enough... the tyre size in question was 44" BUT!...

Perhaps the same principles apply even in 31's?

Maybe you should slap some new rubber on there...

Its a shame colway are going / have gone t!ts up. there ATs were good an cheap!!

My suggestion, start hunting!!

Comment

Like Vince said, swap the tyres around, if you have a oval'd tyre where the tread delaminiates, it'll balence up fine, but will feel nasty on the road.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach

Its a shame colway are going / have gone t!ts up. there ATs were good an cheap!!
            Well, cheap anyway, not sure about the good long term IMHO.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The standard Surf wheels and tyres that I had on before fitting the current ones were also a bit wobbly, even before fitting the wheel spacers. I may try swapping back to front and if theres no difference I'll try taking the spacers off the front only. Already had the shocks checked Vince, no problems there.

One thing's for certain I will eventually get this sorted, I hate having 'mystery' faults!

'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

The standard Surf wheels and tyres that I had on before fitting the current ones were also a bit wobbly, even before fitting the wheel spacers. I may try swapping back to front and if theres no difference I'll try taking the spacers off the front only. Already had the shocks checked Vince, no problems there.

One thing's for certain I will eventually get this sorted, I hate having 'mystery' faults!

ah wheel spacers , take them off mate and try it , had the same prob with my steel wheels was fine on my alloys
                Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Well, cheap anyway, not sure about the good long term IMHO.

Valid point mate!!

I had some colways on my discovery , handled quite well... but in the service history was sh!t load of receipts every few months for colway AT's... previous owner did a lot of milage!!

Comment

I had the same 40mph and up streering wheel wobble...new set of front tyres problem gone..as others have said try swapping.

Comment

Working...
                    X