popped ma cherry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popped ma cherry

Not a big deal for most but just changed front break pads on 4runner, pretty straight forward job. 1st time i've done more than wield a screw driver.

Couldn't however undo bolts on 4th stage of exhaust, tried heating and WD40 but no joy. Have soaked in penetrating oil and will soak again every day until next off work, hope that'll free them.

Only thing is whilst doing pads noticed one disc is a little warped... not bad but seems thats the next thing to attack. Bugger as the disc seems to have lots of life left.

Originally posted by craigl
    Not a big deal for most but just changed front break pads on 4runner, pretty straight forward job. 1st time i've done more than wield a screw driver.

Couldn't however undo bolts on 4th stage of exhaust, tried heating and WD40 but no joy. Have soaked in penetrating oil and will soak again every day until next off work, hope that'll free them.

Only thing is whilst doing pads noticed one disc is a little warped... not bad but seems thats the next thing to attack. Bugger as the disc seems to have lots of life left.
    If its just nut and bolt for the exhaust that you cant shift, grind off the head and replace the nut and bolt. And if you cant feel warping while braking it may just be an illusion. Well done on yer first go though, and check thoroughly we dont want an abituary column
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by craigl

Congratulations

With Christmas coming up you will need to start on the tools list, Mig welder, Grinder, Snap on tool chest or similar, sets of torx sockets, half round sockets, extension sockets as you do more you will always need a new spanner or whatsit.

And you will enjoy all the satisfaction of fixing everything yourself.

Or at least making a start then taking the bits round to some other poor sod to work out where they came from and then find the original fault
      www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Well done mate and remeber there is no "no big deal" jobs at the local dealer/garage as they charge their massive hourly rate regardless of difficulty
        You have saved a fortune
        With the help on this site you will be able to tackle most things
        Brian

Comment

cheers everyone, do have a nice glowing feeling inside, might be that biriani from last night tho.

have been suspicioius disc(s) were warped as get an abs type feeling when braking gently sometimes. Also agree the grinder is prob the easiest route, have got a little one that should do the job, pita though for two little nuts.

Intended on doing a short service whilst at it today but $$$$py weather put paid to that. With a bit of practice hopefully will be brave enough to lift the new truck and make some other choice mods ready for when the engine rebuild is finished.

Brakes all fine, no bits left over which is always a good sign!
          Last edited by craigl; 30 November 2007, 18:30.

Comment

I've just ordered some pads for mine. Not willing to do it my self as i dont know where to start,so off to get one of my staff to do it
            www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

really wasn't difficult, hardest part sitting on the wet floor outside as the shop got a dirty great red 4runner sat in it

was going to do a quick write up with piccies as I couldn't find one on here but weather scuppered that.

Comment

Working...
              X