Strange Dealer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Dealer!

I've jsut been told by a dealer in Leicester that Gen3 Surfs don't have a timing belt so it doesn't need changing!

WRONG.....

Comment

He's talking bollox,ask him what the cover is on the front of the engine.

Comment

He might be confusing it with a timing chain, which is on the Mitsub*shi's etc.
        Dont be fobbed off by him, as far as I'm aware, all Surfs have cam belts.. But dont quote me I am known as being a mechanical numbnutz.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they do as well.

Especially as Milners sell one for a 1996 Gen3 Surf!

Time to do a bit of education when I view it!

Comment

Originally posted by gavnnik
            I'm pretty sure they do as well.

Especially as Milners sell one for a 1996 Gen3 Surf!

Time to do a bit of education when I view it!

If he knows that much about these motors I would stay away, god knows what other s*** he will say.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

this cover?
              Attached Files

Comment

That's the one,the cam would not be able to turn without a belt or chain to drive it.

I bet he will say that it does 35mpg as well,sh*t for brains dealers we love em.

Comment

Just going to have a look now.

Price is good (too good?) £8,750 for a 1996 P SSR-X with 57,000 miles.

Comment

sounds good to me #! i oaid 8.5 for a second gen.
                    Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
                      He might be confusing it with a timing chain, which is on the Mitsub*shi's etc.
                      Dont be fobbed off by him, as far as I'm aware, all Surfs have cam belts.. But dont quote me I am known as being a mechanical numbnutz.
                      your right but not all of them, the mitsubishi 2.8 has a timing chain, the 2.5 engines have a timing belt
                      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                      [size=5][/size]
                      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

But dont quote me I am known as being a mechanical numbnutz. I rest my case.

£8,750, thats a pretty good price, I reckon if he's as stooopid as he seems, you could wangle a bit more off the price... check the tyres, impress on him that an oil, coolant, thermo needs to be changed to climatise it, also at 60k miles, it will need to have the cam belt changed. There's also the possibility of a grease-up....

Get that lot sorted and you'll be a very happy bunny indeed..

Comment

It seems he genuinely didn't know about the timing belt and was going on about push rods?

He'll drop in price to £8,500 including a service, mot, 6 months tax, changing the timing belt and a three month warranty.

One thing I did notice was that after a quick start up and 2 min run when he opened the radiator cap it spilt some water (it was under pressure). I seem to recall reading somewhere that this could be a sign of head/gasket problems (or did I just make this up).
                          Last edited by gavnnik; 5 March 2004, 14:50.

Comment

I would be worried if the rad cap had not spit out water after that amount of time, esp if the engine was running!

If you are worried check for oil in the water and vica versa.

Dealers, dont you just love them, I had one tell me that the cam belt on a 3.0 td 2nd gen only ran the oil pump

Best of luck,

Dog
                            Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

That's exactly what this guy was trying to tell me.

Still his Surf looked pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X