Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear winch

has anybody done this?
    as i pull the sons vitara about the plan is to mount a winch on the rear to assist loading when its bust (again) and covered in mud
    got hold of a rule 6000llb which is a nice compact winch and is mainly designed for the watersports side of things the plan is to remove the rear bumper/towbar and fit a 4x4 box section to act as a bumper and towbar and the winch behind it were the spare wheel usualy goes
    with the winch lead coming underneath it??????

is any of this thread ny good ?
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39229
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

sort of but i was hoping to build one fixed all the timeas once you remove the bumper and towbar 6-8 inches extra clearence

Comment

A small box trailer would be a better idea for a suzuki...

...you could just pick up the pieces and throw them in
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

I'd be inclined to mount the winch onto the trailer save a lot of agro.
          www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

I was thinking about mounting mine in the recess where the underslung spare would sit.....easier to pull yourself out of where you've just been than to pull yourself even deeper into it.....and it should be reasonable well protected too.....
            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Sorry to dig up old threads......

Mount your winch onto one of these.......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Winch-Portable...QQcmdZViewItem

Very popular in the USA - saves carrying a 50 kgs winch everywhere when you'll rarely use it

Plus, you could use it on the front when needed!!!!!
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

i have a 12.5llb on the front its just for loading the trailers up and rare stucks plus it would make an easy to use anchor point when pulling landies out

Comment

Taking a slightly different approach, how about doing as I have seen on some of the boating fraternity's vehicles a front mounted tow hitch?

Some of the boating guys do it to assist in manouvering and launching boat trailers i believe, but in this instance it'd serve as an anchor point to hold the trailer still whilst winching the vitara on. From what i've seen of your pics it looks like you offroad the surf aswell as the vit anyway, so i'm assuming you normally unhitch the trailer at the sites anyway.

Just an idea if the rear mount winch doesn't come off.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

been looking at mounting a tow bracket on the front as the surf makes one hell of an anchor point when sombody needs to winch them selves out

Comment

only thing to keep in mind when using it as an anchor point is that a normal 50mm towball is only rated to 1500kg. You can get ball and pin hitches rated up to 3.5 or even 5 tonne.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Working...
                      X