MOT ...fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT ...fail

Its the front suspension/steering... I need two new idler arms and two new ball joints .....is this a big job.... where do I get the bits ?? Milners etc

Back in the day Baby

roughtrack

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch
      Its the front suspension/steering... I need two new idler arms and two new ball joints .....is this a big job.... where do I get the bits ?? Milners etc
      Nah not big job, just get yourself a joint slitter for the ball joints and you should be done in a couple hours.

And yes roughtrax
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Check out toyota dealers as well .......by the time you have added vat and postage some parts workout cheaper
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Thanks guys

Back in the day Baby

Comment

I'm assuming it's a pitman arm and an idler arm you need rather than two idler arms. Not too bad a job at all, splitting the ball joints is the worst bit, they can be stubborn.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
              I'm assuming it's a pitman arm and an idler arm you need rather than two idler arms. Not too bad a job at all, splitting the ball joints is the worst bit, they can be stubborn.
              the mot printout ..steering idler.. movement excessive...I guess idlers are two short metal links approx 10-15 cm long

Back in the day Baby

Comment

this is the steering idler http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=157&vid=513 you can just buy the bushes which could sort out the play, but there's only one of these, on the passenger side. On the drivers side it's the pitman arm which connects the steering box to the rest of the steering components http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=157&vid=514 . This is assuming it's a 2nd gen, if it's a 3rd gen i know nothing.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                  this is the steering idler http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=157&vid=513 you can just buy the bushes which could sort out the play, but there's only one of these, on the passenger side. On the drivers side it's the pitman arm which connects the steering box to the rest of the steering components http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=157&vid=514 . This is assuming it's a 2nd gen, if it's a 3rd gen i know nothing.
                  you are correct, its a 2nd gen and the component was on the passenger side..i assumed it was identical on the drivers side...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

They'll probably all still tell you i know nothin...
                    ... and they're probably right

I don't think it's so common for the pitman arms to wear for some reason, you certainly don't see it on here so much as the idler, it might just be the idler that needs sorting out and doing that might make the play on the pitman arm less noticable. I don't really know though TBH, it might be better just to do both and be done with it.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

I ended up going to Toyota for the balljoints. The originals which I assume were on the truck from new didn't have any play but the rubber boots had holes in. I got some ball joints from Roughtrax and within 4-5 months there was play in 2 of them found at mot time not enough for a fail but for an advisory note. So I bit the bullet and got toyota.

I must say that everything else from Roughtrax has been very good.

Comment

Once again thanks for info guys...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

i2Surf on a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Long way 'round
                            i2Surf on a Mac.
                            Its the only way

Back in the day Baby

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32017

I did mine for the MOT, problem I had was getting it apart. pic is in this post and info by others in the above link, look at pic first then link.

Cheers

Mark
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X