X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncomfortable [ very!] seats in 1996 Surf

Uncomfortable [ very!] seats in July 1996 Surf

Please help.

I previously have owned two 1991 /2 Surfs which I found extremely comfortable to drive, even over long journeys, and even over v rough dirt roads in Africa. In fact for me this is a principal reason I have bought a 'new' one only this time three litre 1996 (July) model, private import from Japan.

This one cost loads more than the two previous ( over $12,000USD including the import / vat taxes ) so I have been shocked to find that it is so uncomfortable to drive I don't think I can continue with it. I have tried adjusting the driver's seat but whatever I do it just feels an awful lot NARROWER than in the 1992 model. [And I have lost 2 stone over the last 7 months not gained so no, it;s not that....]. I am 6ft tall ( no taller than I was when I had the previous two Surfs (both from 1992).

Is it my imagination or are the 1996 seats in fact narrower ? If so what is the solution - my back is killing me at this typing after driving just a short distance ! And the number of people I have in the past praised the Surf to for its long -distance comfort doesn't bear thinking about........... And no - I have no idea whether they are 'recaro' seats or not. I don't know what recaro seats are: but certainly I cannot see that word printed anywhere on the seats themselves.

Originally posted by jonathan blane
    Uncomfortable [ very!] seats in July 1996 Surf

Please help.

I previously have owned two 1991 /2 Surfs which I found extremely comfortable to drive, even over long journeys, and even over v rough dirt roads in Africa. In fact for me this is a principal reason I have bought a 'new' one only this time three litre 1996 (July) model, private import from Japan.

This one cost loads more than the two previous ( over $12,000USD including the import / vat taxes ) so I have been shocked to find that it is so uncomfortable to drive I don't think I can continue with it. I have tried adjusting the driver's seat but whatever I do it just feels an awful lot NARROWER than in the 1992 model. [And I have lost 2 stone over the last 7 months not gained so no, it;s not that....]. I am 6ft tall ( no taller than I was when I had the previous two Surfs (both from 1992).

Is it my imagination or are the 1996 seats in fact narrower ? If so what is the solution - my back is killing me at this typing after driving just a short distance ! And the number of people I have in the past praised the Surf to for its long -distance comfort doesn't bear thinking about........... And no - I have no idea whether they are 'recaro' seats or not. I don't know what recaro seats are: but certainly I cannot see that word printed anywhere on the seats themselves.

recaro-sports seats mate,they have alot less padding?have u got interior pic to see which trim u have?

Comment

Maybe see if the seats out of an old one would fit in the new 3rd gen rails, if so prob sorted, buit i dont know whether they do
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

u can weld in whichever seats u fancy lol

Comment

Are the ones u have now black and grey, with mesh in the headrest and a little bit at the front of the seat that u can pull forward?

Comment

Originally posted by clayton8798
            Are the ones u have now black and grey, with mesh in the headrest and a little bit at the front of the seat that u can pull forward?
            did they do recaro for 3rd gen?thought it was a second gen thing??

Comment

Yep, you can get them in the 3rd Gen's too, but it's much rarer than in the 2nd Gens. A great pity as its the 3rd Gen that would benefit more, considering how good the standard 2nd Gen seats are and how poor the standard 3rd Gen ones are by comparison.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2
                did they do recaro for 3rd gen?thought it was a second gen thing??
                Surfstars truck has Recaros, I'll post a pic up here for Rhys to look at later, 3rd gen seats seem much wider and firmer (in a nice way) to me.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

OK, just been out and measured, 3rd gen Recaros are exactly 1" wider across the flat bits, on the seat and the back, before you get to the pads on each side than a stock 2nd Gen seat.

2nd gen stock seats....

3rd gen Recaros....

You could swap could swap seats between a 2nd gen and 3rd gen, but its not a simple bolt in swap as the frames are slightly different as the floor is a different shape and a 3rd gen seat is higher of the floor than a 2nd gen.

Rhys, are you sure you havn't got the lumber support and side support cushions wound all the way in, it might just need adjusting. Maybe you've got weird seats fitted by the previous owner.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Mine are all squishy at the sides Some LARGE person must have owned it
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

If you have the recaro's mate i may be interested in doing a swap for my grey seats from my gen 3.

Comment

Uncomfortable [ very!] seats in 1996 Surf

The miscreant seats in question look just like the first ['stock'] ones in Tony's pic, not the 2nd pic. - So it would appear they are not Recaros.

And I have tried adjusting both the round knob on the right (when you are seated in it) side of the seat and the lever on the left side, plus moving seat back and forth and nothing makes it comfortable.

The seats all look contemporary with one another and the 1996 car - doesn't look to me as if some eccentric person of Japanese-ness has deliberately installed a super-narrow one.

For future info - IS this July 96 car a '3rd Generation' one ? At what date did they become 3rd Gen ? And why is this regarded as significant ?

I have another question about the rear differential which I will pose separately.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan blane
                          For future info - IS this July 96 car a '3rd Generation' one ? At what date did they become 3rd Gen ? And why is this regarded as significant ?
                          I am pretty sure it must be 3rd gen. Does the boot hinge up (like a car) or down (like a pick up)?

It is significant because they are entirely different vehicles.

It is also significant because as a 3rd gen owner you must be subjected to being called a hairdresser for a while, and respond only by caling 2nd gens 'tractors' and telling us all about how you can put your 4wd on whilst actually on a road.

Comment

Sancho is right ( again ) Being 96 yours is probably a 3rd gen. 3rd gens are great, you can use them in 4wd on tarmac you know, not like the 2nd gen tactors which can only use it in fields when theyre ploughing and doing farmer type things. You really need to put your vehicle details on your profile. Answers to questions come quicker and theyre more likely to be right.
                            We need to know if its 2.4 or 3.0l or (god forbid) petrol. If the year is there too it gives clues as to the generation.

So Farmer or Hairdresser ??

Bogus
                            Сви можемо

Comment

I reckon he's a hairdresser .....

I've got standard seats in my 3rd Gen and they're not too comfortable - but from the noise the kids make the fronts are nowhere near as uncomfortable as the rears !

PS
                              Did you know that 3rd Gens can use 4wd on tarmac (not like those 2nd Gen tractors)

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                              X