Just tried posting this in the 3.0 section, but keep getting blank page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just tried posting this in the 3.0 section, but keep getting blank page

I've had this Surf for just over a month, and there are a few things I could do with some help on:

1. There is a whining sound when coasting, not accelerating - I'm going to check the UJs tomorrow and give them a lube, but could it be related to the 4WD not working and be something to do with the vacuum on the alternator?

2. In the monrings, and when cold, it takes a while to turn over - it does it first time, but takes a few seconds - and the last two days, the lights on the dash flash while trying to start. I've got a new starter that I'll fit tomorrow, but is this likely to be alternator related (the batteries do charge) or glow plugs?

3. I get a lot of clicks from relays when I turn on the ignition - not sure what, but it's all from the drivers side dash.

4. The relay issue with the heater speed control is still there - as I move the slider from one side to another, the A/C goes off and the fans stop - but a wiggle of the switch and it's back.

5. When I start the engine, there is a BIG cloud of exhaust.

6. Under hard acceleration there is a lose belt squeal from somewhere - this also happens under normal driving, but as soon as I lift off the throttle - it stops.

7. The steering has started to feel heavy when parking - in stages, not all the time (if that makes sense).

That's about it really - otherwise - top motor!
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Originally posted by MudSurfer
    I've had this Surf for just over a month, and there are a few things I could do with some help on:

1. There is a whining sound when coasting, not accelerating - I'm going to check the UJs tomorrow and give them a lube, but could it be related to the 4WD not working and be something to do with the vacuum on the alternator?

Could be a wheel bearing, or bronze bush

2. In the monrings, and when cold, it takes a while to turn over - it does it first time, but takes a few seconds - and the last two days, the lights on the dash flash while trying to start. I've got a new starter that I'll fit tomorrow, but is this likely to be alternator related (the batteries do charge) or glow plugs?

Could be a bad earth from battery to chassis

3. I get a lot of clicks from relays when I turn on the ignition - not sure what, but it's all from the drivers side dash.

Loose wire/connection/loom

4. The relay issue with the heater speed control is still there - as I move the slider from one side to another, the A/C goes off and the fans stop - but a wiggle of the switch and it's back.

Same as no 4

That will be the spent fuel

6. Under hard acceleration there is a lose belt squeal from somewhere - this also happens under normal driving, but as soon as I lift off the throttle - it stops.

Loose belt

7. The steering has started to feel heavy when parking - in stages, not all the time (if that makes sense).

Loose power steering belt? or low p/s fluid or worn pump?

That's about it really - otherwise - top motor!

Does it help?
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Could be low on diff oil, but grease all the U/Js as a matter of course anyway.

Glowplugs on their way out, or possibly loose connector

3. I get a lot of clicks from relays when I turn on the ignition - not sure what, but it's all from the drivers side dash. See answer to question2!

4. The relay issue with the heater speed control is still there - as I move the slider from one side to another, the A/C goes off and the fans stop - but a wiggle of the switch and it's back. Loose multiplug either on the back of the controls or behind glovebox on the heater blower motor assembly.

6. Under hard acceleration there is a lose belt squeal from somewhere - this also happens under normal driving, but as soon as I lift off the throttle - it stops. There's a clue in your next question.

Comment

I love you guys - looks like tomorrow will be fun!
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Working...
        X