X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ono ive been sold a pup

Hi all
    Just bought my surf a couple of days ago
    and today i whent to the local village as i was walking back i noticed a pudle of water on the ground so had a closer look and found that the water pump
    was leaking so no im at a los as wat to do.

this was a private sale and i double checked with the owner that it had no water leaks "it has had a new head and timing belt about 2 years ago"
    in his advert it states

(TOYOTA HILUX SURF SSR-X 2.4TD, 2WD or 4WD with diff locks and hi/lo ratio. 5 Door, Automatic with over drive, Diesel, Metallic Burgundy, air conditioning, alloy wheels (tyres very good condition), Hard/soft suspension. Professionally fitted Thatcham alarm/immobilizer (with certificate for insurance purpose), Aiwa CD Stereo, central locking, Electric mirrors, 5 Electric windows (all fully working), Adjustable Seat Lumbar, Adjustable steering column, Sidesteps, Power assisted steering, tow bar with electrics, cloth interior, lovely and clean, no wear or holes. Non smoking household.

Rear half of exhaust is stainless steel.

This vehicle is in excellent condition with no mechanical or electrical problems. She starts first time, smooth runner great in the snow, MOT till Sept 08, taxed till end of March 08 and has done 158K km which is approx 98K miles, nothing to this engine, regularly maintained. Only reason for sale is I now have a new company car.

Only bad bit is electric ariel core is worn so stays in the up position (very cheap and easy to fix), small scratch on rear passenger door.

Please email me with any questions, any test drive before auction ends welcome more photos on request
    Ready to drive away
    .)

this is the ebay advert for it but i bought it privetly

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=007
    so very angry now

cheers
    nocatmcm
    Last edited by nocatmcm; 23 November 2007, 13:02.

Have you got any form of legal cover with your insurance company or AA/RAC member?

If so give tham a call, as although a private sale it still has to be of merchantable condition.

Are there water stains around the pump? If so get pics and a local garage to confirm that pump has been leaking longer than your ownership.

Then contact seller and ask them to pay for repairs. If they refuse I'm sure that it will come under the sale of goods act and you canm take them to small claims court.
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

I think you have no option but to replace the water pump at your own cost (about £35 parts from Roughtrax) If you had bought it through E-bay you might have had a chance of claiming the item was not "as described" but it is less hopeful with a private sale.

Dealers have to give 90 days warrenty by law but private sellers don't. You could try your local trading standards but I would be doubtful they could help.

You could also ask the seller if he would contribute to the repair, but if you've had the motor more than a day or so I would say you are stuck
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

hi just rang the owner and he is getting back to me.
        i also have legal cover with my insurance never thought of that
        if he dosnt sort it out ill give them a ring.

cheers
        nocatmcm

Comment

Does it actually have Difflocks? They don't as standard and it's a fair few quid to put them on.

Comment

I had a cv boot go on mine, noticed it just after I bought it. Dealer would have sorted it, but he was 40 miles away and it was easier to sort out myself so I put it down as 'one of those things', as it is a great truck.

Part from Roughtrax

Yours is a nice looking truck in the best colur combo
            Wax on, wax off

Comment

I reckon you'll end up doing the job yourself, the parts will cost about £100 as you'd better change the cam belt while you're at it, as it's 2 years old, and they should be changed at 3 years anyway.

You'll lose some coolant, so you might as well flush and replace with good quality coolant, and change the rad cap and thermostat while you're at it.

Funny how one job can lead to several others, but at least you'll know it's all done, and have piece of mind.

Might as well do the oil and filter while you've got the tools out.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
                Does it actually have Difflocks? They don't as standard and it's a fair few quid to put them on.
                No it dosent have them also found out there is no aicon belt

Comment

Havent had any reply from the old owner yet
                  but i am ordering the parts from toyota (have a friend who works there)
                  then ill sort out with the old owner later.

Just aswell im on 2 weeks hols

Comment

id just change it and forget about it.
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

It's annoying, but hardly the end of the world. If it had been the head, gearbox or something major it would definately be worthwhile pursuing the former owner as regards to some form of compensation.

Sometimes these things just happen. Fit a new water pump at a relatively small cost and you'll have one really nice truck, just mark it up to a little bad luck.

Happy Surfing!

'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Working...
                      X