Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Scottish surfers

Hi Guys
    We are thinking of moving up Scotland and wondered if you could give us a ball park figure for purchasing a property Cottage or Bungalow of around 1 to 1 1/2 acres not too bothered about it being remote. would prefer a few outbuildings for the dogs. Also how easy would a place like this be to find.
    Thanks for any help.
    Trust your Hound.

Originally posted by Taliesins
    Hi Guys
    We are thinking of moving up Scotland and wondered if you could give us a ball park figure for purchasing a property Cottage or Bungalow of around 1 to 1 1/2 acres not too bothered about it being remote. would prefer a few outbuildings for the dogs. Also how easy would a place like this be to find.
    Thanks for any help.
    Fairly easy to find, but to give you and idea, friends of ours in a nice area of blairgowrie, are selling a modern bungalow with 5 bedrooms, massive hall and kitchen double garage, 2 bathrooms, about 0.5 acres for a fixed price of 325k, not much interest as of yet so i would say depending on bedrooms a 3 bed cottage or bung in more land could cost the same.

Look here www.pspc.co.uk its kinda the bible for property searches up here.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

I must add that travelling just a few miles can knock 30% off the value off property so look around a bit.

Also if you want advice on an area and what its like dont hesitate to ask, on the thread or by pm. We moved up from england 5 years ago and have looked around alot, so may have some imput for you
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
        I must add that travelling just a few miles can knock 30% off the value off property so look around a bit.

Also if you want advice on an area and what its like dont hesitate to ask, on the thread or by pm. We moved up from england 5 years ago and have looked around alot, so may have some imput for you
        Thanks for that I will visit the link and have a look. Not too bothered about the travelling as we would prefer somewhere off the beaten track.
        Trust your Hound.

Comment

Thanks for that I will visit the link and have a look. Not too bothered about the travelling as we would prefer somewhere off the beaten track.
          Sometimes up here thats cheaper
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Our house prices are much less than those daan sarrf, but paradoxically, our used car prices are higher...

Need a bit more info on where you are thinking about moving to. For instance, I have a 1 bed flat in Falkirk, it's worth about £45k, same flat in Glasgow or Edinburgh will be around £175k
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by andy62
              Our house prices are much less than those daan sarrf, but paradoxically, our used car prices are higher...

Need a bit more info on where you are thinking about moving to. For instance, I have a 1 bed flat in Falkirk, it's worth about £45k, same flat in Glasgow or Edinburgh will be around £175k
              We haven't really decided which area but we would be looking for somewhere quite remote. We have visited Scotland quite a lot but mostly around the Dumfries area, as we venture up to Moniave quite a lot with the hounds. The only criteria really is that we can have access to a good vet.
              We would even consider somewhere that needs a bit of renovation.
              Trust your Hound.

Comment

Moniave is nice, I like it there myself. But; if it were me moving to somewhere quiet in Scotland it wouldn't be the borders, it's way too busy down there.

I'd be moving up th the north west coast or one of the islands. Vets up there are some of the best, quality of life is better than you'll ever immagine, people are great (so long as you don't try to make it a little England), walking and off roading opportunities everywhere and it's possible to go to places where you'll see nobody else for days!
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

In my neck of the woods (Lochgilphead) a property as you describe would be a rare find and generate a lot of interest. I've just sold a converted 2 bed croft cottage with average garden for £130k off the market.

What is happening a lot is if a property has an acre garden then part of it is being sold as a building plot for 50k. If you do get a chance to buy a cottage with an acre or so then the price would reflect the potential plot and I'd expect a 3 bed cottage with an acre and buildings to be for sale in the region of £250k.

I bought my current place off the market and this is much more common around here than people think. There are still genuine folk who don't want to see their home and land being turned into another soulless housing estate and that's how I got my place.

Good luck! Subscribe to the Oban Times newspaper for west coast properties. You'll see loads of private adverts of houses for sale which will never hit the net.

Dave

Comment

Would this suit?

http://www.pspc.co.uk/html/advanced_...sPropref=41388

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibeg
                      Looks great and is the sort of place I will be looking for.
                      I understand buying a property in Scotland is different to England.
                      Is it easier?
                      Trust your Hound.

Comment

I dont think it is!

In Scotland its generally offers over. Allow 10-20% over this price. In 'hot' areas its more 20-35%. Before you make an offer you'll need to get a survey done. The vendor often goes to a closing date, this is sealed bids. Generally highest bidder wins. If your bid is successful your solicitor starts the missives, this is a series of letters checking deeds, septic tanks are registered etc etc and when the missives are concluded the deal is binding.

The flaws are simply that if you intend to offer on a property you need to get a survey done, though some vendors will accept offer subject to survey this is still uncommon. So you see a place, fork out for a survey, put in your best offer for the closing date which has to be by a solicitor and then you don't get it. But what you do get is the bill for the survey and maybe the solicitor. Total cost £300-£1000 depending on property price.

Do this for a few places and it eats deeply into your pocket!

Dave

Comment

Looks great and is the sort of place I will be looking for.
                          I understand buying a property in Scotland is different to England.
                          Is it easier?

Yes you can't get Gazumpt (spelling) up here the offers over means offer a price via your agent I accept or decline if I accept and missives are signed the deal is done. add 25% to any offers over price in the country or 50% if in the city
                          Brian

Comment

Working...
                          X