Beware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware

Having just bought my 1993 3ltr Surf just before Christmas, a word of warning for any new purchaser. I went on test drive etc and looked over car and all looked great. A few days after buying, when cleaning inside noticed that under floor mats was a bit wet, well in fact soaking. Heater Matrix of course was gone. Guy i purchased from said it was working when he had it, so not a lot i could do. Big and expensive job on Surf as all under dash had to come out and took quite a few hours. After fixing, the garage turned on heater and low and behold, didn't work. They then took heater hose off and found metal bolt glued inside, to try and stop water leaking, so of course guy who sold it to me knew all the time.
    Message is if you like me don't know to much about cars take someone with you when viewing.
    Please don't tell the wife about this!!
    Philip
    Still Searching,
    Dick Whittington

Philip sorry to hear of your dilema, We are all aproachable on the forum so to any new potential owners dont be afraid to ask if you need help when purchasing a surf, there is always someone close to your proximity who may offer to have a look with you.
    For a small fee of course, Beer usually works
    Last edited by marky; 3 March 2004, 09:55.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

know how you feel

I know how you feel matey.

Warning to buying blind on imports.... don't do it.

Just bought my Surf in Ebay through Autoadvan.

All looked until until I took it to the garage.
      New shocks , new Idler and Pittman arms and now new injectors and turbo......unfortunately I've run out of money :o(

What to do??? Take the seats out and use it as a shed?
      My Surf's a beauty but needs a turbo!!!

1990 SSR Ltd 2.4

Comment

Originally posted by Aelf

New shocks , new Idler and Pittman arms and now new injectors and turbo......unfortunately I've run out of money :o(

didn't they service it before delivery??
        take it back and say it's not roadworthy, surely it came with MOT?
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Better buying from a dealer,with a good warranty,even if it does cost a bit more.
          Powered by ????

Comment

Beware

Unfortunately bought car through Ebay, although i think guy knocked them for the money. Now car, after service etc, is running like a dream and i think i am now a Surf convert for life. I am having new discs fitted in front as was getting bit of a judder at high speed when braking. Guy is doing it for £25 each side which is good.
            Apart from checking bearings is there anything else to look out for when changing.
            Thanks again Philip
            Still Searching,
            Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
              Unfortunately bought car through Ebay, although i think guy knocked them for the money. Now car, after service etc, is running like a dream and i think i am now a Surf convert for life. I am having new discs fitted in front as was getting bit of a judder at high speed when braking. Guy is doing it for £25 each side which is good.
              Apart from checking bearings is there anything else to look out for when changing.
              Thanks again Philip
              they still have to describe it as it is!
              you could have been buying any old piece of junk!
              if it's not as described, don't buy it and report them to ebay (for all the good that would do!)
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

What model Surf have you got l have 2 good 2.4 turbos for sale. what have you been quoted.
                Live Life To The Full

Comment

Worth trying another garage??? Maybe they were just out to make money? Or consider doing some of it yourself... plenty of people on here to help out with advice...
                  Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Watch out for sold as seen as you lose all legal battles to regain your losses
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Autoadvan

I bought mine through them, and got a pretty good price at the time. The Surf was complete and sailed through the MOT, but have since realised that it is way down on power.

All I can say is that without this forum I would have been sunk, and that the only reason that I am not panicking is because of the guys on here. I have saved cash by fixing the cheapest items first, before narrowing it down to the more expensive stuff.

Following Ems&Jims adventures I am going down the injectors route next, and after that it will be the cam belt timing, then the diesel pump. The fault lies somewhere, it's just a process of methodical elimination.

I was told by one garage that my turbo was a gonner, but I have since proved that it isn't. The boost gauge is reading a healthy 9psi? The 'faulty' turbo was cured by sealing the leaky hose with tape!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly

I was told by one garage that my turbo was a gonner, but I have since proved that it isn't. The boost gauge is reading a healthy 9psi? The 'faulty' turbo was cured by sealing the leaky hose with tape!

Cheers

Rob G
                        Good point, just cos someone wears a grubby overall, they don't know everything.

Always look for a second opinion before parting with cash!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                        X