pc problem , any ideas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc problem , any ideas??

hi all, i recently put a new motherboard into my mates pc, evrything works fine but whenever i install and use a USB modem(tried 3) or wifi dongle the pc just shuts down and wont reboot until i unplug the device, the usb printer, scanner and mouse all work fine.
    any ideas??
    thanks grant
    Grant

Originally posted by paintballer
    hi all, i recently put a new motherboard into my mates pc, evrything works fine but whenever i install and use a USB modem(tried 3) or wifi dongle the pc just shuts down and wont reboot until i unplug the device, the usb printer, scanner and mouse all work fine.
    any ideas??
    thanks grant
    USBs are possibly drawing too much power from the board. Try a powered hub, see how that goes.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Alternatively, make sure the USB ports are plugged in to the right socket on the m/b.
      Mike G

Comment

does it still do this with the built in usb ports?
        sounds like a driver issue to me.

go to:
        right click my computer, properties, hardware, device manager

now im assuming since you installed a fresh mobo, that you did a fresh O/S install yes?
        if this is the case then remove anything in device manager USB related. then once all the universal serial bus controllers etc are removed, restart and let them install again.
        give that a try.
        if no luck then make sure all the windows updates have run fine, and that your motherboard has been installed propperly.
        if you have then i would flash the mobo with the latest bios. but dont do this if you dont feel comfortable doing it, or if you think your system is un stable or whatnot. there is a high risk of completely ruining the mobo from doing this if it crashes halfway through or there is a power cut etc..

but saying that ive done loads, and even had them crash a couple of times, and starting over was ok,
        ive even had mobile phones crash while re-flashing them and thats been fine as well.
        let me know how you get on!
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
          does it still do this with the built in usb ports?
          sounds like a driver issue to me.

go to:
          right click my computer, properties, hardware, device manager

now im assuming since you installed a fresh mobo, that you did a fresh O/S install yes?
          if this is the case then remove anything in device manager USB related. then once all the universal serial bus controllers etc are removed, restart and let them install again.
          give that a try.
          if no luck then make sure all the windows updates have run fine, and that your motherboard has been installed propperly.
          if you have then i would flash the mobo with the latest bios. but dont do this if you dont feel comfortable doing it, or if you think your system is un stable or whatnot. there is a high risk of completely ruining the mobo from doing this if it crashes halfway through or there is a power cut etc..

but saying that ive done loads, and even had them crash a couple of times, and starting over was ok,
          ive even had mobile phones crash while re-flashing them and thats been fine as well.
          let me know how you get on!
          i am using the onboard usbs, i formatted HDD and fresh install windows xp
          installed other USB devices that all work, just the USB wifi dongle and the USB modems wont work, so i reformatted and fresh install windows again and installed nothing other than the modem and still wont work
          Grant

Comment

installed other USB devices that all work, just the USB wifi dongle and the USB modems wont work, so i reformatted and fresh install windows again and installed nothing other than the modem and still wont work
            Did you try a powered hub?
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

how many usb items have you got?

what is your PSU rating? i know you can have shut downs if you PSU isnt powerful enough.

the other month i was getting shutdowns because my ram was too slow. i had increased the divider so i had head room for an overclock and it didnt like it at stock settings.

if you have re-installed stuff then i would start looking at your PSU

what cpu do you have? my shutdowns were on a AMD dual core cpu with really rubbish ddr 1 ram.

whats the new mobo? and what do you have running off it? how many hard disks etc.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Did you re-install the Windows service pack 2 as this is where all the USB2 drivers are so until this is done all you'll be able to use is the old USB periphials

Cheers
                Paul

Comment

thanks your replys, i got it sorted it was a jumper on the motherboard that has something to do with powering the usbs, still odd how everything else USB worked
                  Grant

Comment

Ive just Upgraded my old DELL PRECISION 340 1.7ghz p4 with 256mb ram with a Dimension Motherboard 2.4ghz cpu & 512 mb ram. Reinstalled O/S & Drivers SP2 it goes like stink now.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

any ideas??
                      thanks grant

its a lak of power
                      time to get a 500wat power pak
                      pick them up for 50 quid from pc world so they must be cheaper ones out there
                      Last edited by JUDWAK; 18 November 2007, 20:42.
                      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

thanks your replys, i got it sorted it was a jumper on the motherboard that has something to do with powering the usbs, still odd how everything else USB worked
                        bit gay isnt it! nice one on fixing it
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                          Ive just Upgraded my old DELL PRECISION 340 1.7ghz p4 with 256mb ram with a Dimension Motherboard 2.4ghz cpu & 512 mb ram. Reinstalled O/S & Drivers SP2 it goes like stink now.
                          i just clocked my cpu from 2.0 up to 2.8 and its still not quick enough. i want 3.0ghz+ and dual, tri or quad core cpu..

but if you want a decent pc, get a mac. you can pick up a nice G5, with 3x 750gb hard disks, 16gb of ram, twin quad core cpus at 3.6ghz each (this equals 28.8ghz of total processing power, shame you can only use 3.6 on one app though)
                          all this for only £12000 (includes dual tft screens, keyboard, mouse, wifi, bluetooth, o/s and office
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                          X