Sorted out oil leak, at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorted out oil leak, at last

Right, loads of folk will know all this but this is for folk like me who did not.

Under your 3.0 Surf oil filter there is a cup that catches oil spill when changing filter. Attached to cup is a pipe that runs down side of engine and stops just in front of and above crossmember (I didn't know this ) this is to let any oil that ends up in cup to drain to below truck instead of down the side of engine.
    I had a leaking filter which was pulsing oil on tickover every 4 seconds or so.
    At motorway speeds it was painting the underside of my truck a nive black colour!
    Hence my earlier posts in panic, thinking it might be a crank oil seal.

i had made sure the filter was tight and I had looked for leaking oil, but until I discovered it coming out of the pipe (had to clean underside of truck first and then run engine) I was ready to stick it in for a repair.

The oil filter was fitted feb 2007. dunno why it decided to start leaking now.

So, engine flushed and new oil and filter fitted. no leaks.

Just need to buy some Gunk to clean Yoshies drive now.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Originally posted by KERRSURF
    Right, loads of folk will know all this but this is for folk like me who did not.

Under your 3.0 Surf oil filter there is a cup that catches oil spill when changing filter. Attached to cup is a pipe that runs down side of engine and stops just in front of and above crossmember (I didn't know this ) this is to let any oil that ends up in cup to drain to below truck instead of down the side of engine.
    I had a leaking filter which was pulsing oil on tickover every 4 seconds or so.
    At motorway speeds it was painting the underside of my truck a nive black colour!
    Hence my earlier posts in panic, thinking it might be a crank oil seal.

i had made sure the filter was tight and I had looked for leaking oil, but until I discovered it coming out of the pipe (had to clean underside of truck first and then run engine) I was ready to stick it in for a repair.

The oil filter was fitted feb 2007. dunno why it decided to start leaking now.

So, engine flushed and new oil and filter fitted. no leaks.

Just need to buy some Gunk to clean Yoshies drive now.

So I was right then!

Comment

yup.

wish I knew about that pipe sooner.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
      X