Calling home network gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling home network gurus

OK - I've got a Belkin F5 AP that I am trying to use to bridge LANs from one end of the house to the other, my desktop and printer are in the office at the back of the house, the AP with the DSL connection is at the front, with me and my laptop.

I've tried to connect to the AP on the default address after resetting it - using wired and wireless, and it won't connect. The Windows firewall is off, the LAN connection has been manually set to the next IP in the range (192.168.2.2) and nothing, I can't ping it, poke it or anything......

So - before it ends up in the road - can anyone point me at a utility that I can install that I can use to 'find' the AP's IP address so I can configure it?

TIA
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Belkins are a PITA, I always use Linksys. Their setup is a breeze...

Only thing I can suggest is that if you manually set the IP on the lan, you should disable DNS on everything and set all the IPs to static, just in case DNS tries to assign an IP that is already assigned. If 2 IPs are the same on the network, it could all fail.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by andy62
      Belkins are a PITA, I always use Linksys. Their setup is a breeze...

Only thing I can suggest is that if you manually set the IP on the lan, you should disable DNS on everything and set all the IPs to static, just in case DNS tries to assign an IP that is already assigned. If 2 IPs are the same on the network, it could all fail.

Do you mean DHCP?

All addresses are static, no DHCP, no DNS - and still nuffink!

Comment

Just re-read your post

The Access Point's IP after a full reset should be 192.168.2.1 Assuming it's correctly connected, if you can't access it from your browser, perhaps it's bu66ered?

I had an old Belkin access point a few years ago, it just gave up the ghost one day, no warning, just stopped working. Everything looked OK until I spotted the LAN access led wasn't on

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
          Do you mean DHCP?

All addresses are static, no DHCP, no DNS - and still nuffink!
          Aye, sorry... I'm not long out of bed, need more coffee...

Comment

I have the LAN light on - and when connected to the laptop it shows 100Mb connection, it is probably plopped....

Comment

Network faults are all but impossible to diagnose remotely. With the price of componants these days, sometimes it's more cost effective and much less hassle to just buy new stuff.

A linksys wireless router will cost less than £60 and is a breeze to set up. I have one with 3rd party firmware which allows me to adjust the transmitter power. I can use it wireless at the bottom of my garden with ease.

Comment

just use your neighbours
                Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Well - it's toast!

The LAN port shows a connection light, the LAN link light is on both ends, and the PC can see a connection to a 100Mb device - however, no traffic passes....

I managed to get the wireless bit to be visible, but the internal web console doesn't work - so - has anyone got an AP???

I have a wireless router already - Cisco one - so don't need one of those, just an AP to plug in at the back of the house and bridge the two LANs.....

Aren't home networks fun????

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                    just use your neighbours
                    My router can pick up 4 unsecured networks. One is so bad that I actually managed to get into their PC! Went and told them how bad it was, I thought the bloke was going to murder me for 'hacking' his system. 2 days later though, his wife came and apologised. I sorted their network out in about 10 minutes, got 24 cans of Miller for my troubles

Comment

Originally posted by andy62
                      My router can pick up 4 unsecured networks. One is so bad that I actually managed to get into their PC! Went and told them how bad it was, I thought the bloke was going to murder me for 'hacking' his system. 2 days later though, his wife came and apologised. I sorted their network out in about 10 minutes, got 24 cans of Miller for my troubles

Nice - I got mine set up the other day - and when you view the available networks you get....

BTHomeHub....numbers
                      BTHomeHub....numbers
                      SKY00076
                      BTHomeHub
                      BTHomeHub
                      Bonnie (????)

and mine....

The Matrix

Comment

Working...
                      X