Silly Question !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NiftyNev
    I've said it before and will say it again just for those who bother to listen. If the cooling system is operating as it should then there is no reason to remove the radiator cap. If the level in the expansion tank remains constant then you do not have a problem, will not be loosing coolant and will not need to check via the radiator cap. If you need to top up the expansion tank any more than a few m/l over a period of months then you need to start checking things, otherwise leave the cap on.

I remove my radiator cap about once or twice a year just to inspect the cap and for no other reason. My cooling system has only required about 200 m/l in about 2 years and that went in the expansion tank.

Nev
    gotta say,i do agree!,tends to be the reason they put min and max level on the expansion bottle

Comment

Right or wrong this is how i did/do it, filling from drained, pour it in slowly via the filler cap, once full start the engine and top up till it wont take any more, replace cap and top up expansion tank to proper lever, then when engines hot and stat is opened, fit hose and bottle to the drain cock (which i fitted in the heater flow pipe, highest point in the system) open cock and tip some coolant into the bottle, when air bubbles stop the system is full, turn off cock and remove the hose, any further top up is into the expansion tank,
      sorted!!
      one added aggrovation to mine is i extended the heater hoses to the back of the truck via exchangers, rad, pump etc so a bit more fiddley, but running the pump while filling from the bottle and hose sorts it out, and both heaters switched to "on" BTW
      >edit< before someone points out the other hose is higher than the one im filling from, i've since rerouted it under the filter
      Attached Files
      Last edited by POPEYE; 8 November 2007, 20:28.
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

THANKS VERY MUCH EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE, THIS TECHNICAL STUFF SCARES THE PANTS OFF ME I MUST ADMIT !! i THINK FROM NOW ON I'LL GO AHEAD AND CHECK BOTH OF THEM.......................... .. CONSTANTLY !!!

THANKS AGAIN

X X X X X
        Stop Your Grinnin and Drop Your Linen

Comment

Always worth keeping an eye on the fluid levels, including oil, water, gearbox and diffs.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
          X