No announcement yet.

Any one in HR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if it is in the contract regarding no piercing's, if you are not in a public representation role, they cannot use upholding company image as an excuse, and even then, it would be tenuous at best.

Otherwise, unless you are wearing an item which is officially against H&S rules or detrimental to yours or anyone elses safety within a given area, the contract can say what ever it likes. They can't force you to do bugger all.

Safety and certain boundaries of decency a contract can enforce. It cannot remove liberty.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      Even if it is in the contract regarding no piercing's, if you are not in a public representation role, they cannot use upholding company image as an excuse, and even then, it would be tenuous at best.

Otherwise, unless you are wearing an item which is officially against H&S rules or detrimental to yours or anyone elses safety within a given area, the contract can say what ever it likes. They can't force you to do bugger all.

Safety and certain boundaries of decency a contract can enforce. It cannot remove liberty.

Well I am going to take all the help from here an try me best - I will either be psd celebrating my win tomorrow or drowning in my sorrows.

On a serious note I think it's linked to food safety.
      How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
        was talking to a mixer driver the other day... 20 years in the job and he's been banned from entering the drum cos he doesn't have "confined space" training...

erm... 20 years experience and he's not learned how to chip concrete off a drum???

i've been told not to wear rigger boots cos they have no ankle support... but neither steel toe shoes! (which are fine!)... (wellies are also ok with toecaps!!)
        Rigger boots - the number of times sites said we couldn't go on coz of wearin riggers was crazy. Could get away with it though, as we was calcing and testing beams, most of them was in lift shafts or air con plants on new builds, if we didn't go on site they couldn't put the lifts in, which meant contractors billing for time on site when they couldn't do anything. They'd always come up to the van as we got back in and tell us to pull our jeans over the top then they'd let us on site.

Good luck wiv ya case bibs, as long as you can close your mouth properly wiv it in, and it doesn't make you dribble in the food what's the problem?
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Well I guess they'd never give me a job then, what with my pierced nipples and scrotum!
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

If you worked for me and refused or argued against complying with a simple instruction I would sack you if not over this issue then over one I could make stand up.
            Leave revolution to the Russians and put as much effort into your work as you have this and you will go far
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie
              If you worked for me and refused or argued against complying with a simple instruction I would sack you if not over this issue then over one I could make stand up.

What bunkum. You have no right, as does no one else, to determine how someone treats their own body, other than within the bounds of hygiene whilst onsite, or if they are in a position of visual representation.

Not putting up with an employees cr@ppy attitude, I'd agree. The boss is the boss. Like it or lump it. That general attitude displayed above though is cadswallop.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                What bunkum. You have no right, as does no one else, to determine how someone treats their own body, other than within the bounds of hygiene whilst onsite, or if they are in a position of visual representation.

Not putting up with an employees cr@ppy attitude, I'd agree. The boss is the boss. Like it or lump it. That general attitude displayed above though is cadswallop.
                I disagree we don't force people to sign contracts or to stay put in this day and age.
                What we do have is this I AM ENTITLED TO attitude no matter what your rules say!
                Discipline is sadly lacking and a respect for other people .Thatchers 80s attitude has became an epidemic that has ripped the heart from this nation.
                People are no longer happy with a fair days pay for a fair days work. Many think take take take is the way to go. To start a thread seeking help to fight an employer who has merly requested a dress code is pathetic. I'm sure we all agree kids look smarter in school uniform. Police in uniforms, Nurses I could go on but you get the point. Sometimes falling in line is the correct thing to do. The men who founded the union movement did not suffer so someone could express there fashion sense at work. It was fought to gain and protect far more precious rights that are lost on this generation as they feel the world owes them a living.
                Brian

Comment

I can see where you're coming from with that above. The counter point, however, is that the majority of employers are as bad, if not worse, than the individual employees in their work ethics and attitudes. I personally compare most work environments to the closest thing you'll get to hell whilst still alive, these days.

Comment

As I said to my employer ( from the previous post) if my earings interfere with the quality of my work, or they get a legitimate written complaint from a customer, then I would remove them. Other than that they are my choice, and as I stated, the women in the company were allowed to wear them.

I did also mention to said employer, theat if I wanted to come to work dressed in a skirt that also was within the accepted dress code!

It's about equality across thge company, and possible discrimination.
                    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                      As I said to my employer ( from the previous post) if my earings interfere with the quality of my work, or they get a legitimate written complaint from a customer, then I would remove them. Other than that they are my choice, and as I stated, the women in the company were allowed to wear them.

I did also mention to said employer, theat if I wanted to come to work dressed in a skirt that also was within the accepted dress code!

It's about equality across thge company, and possible discrimination.

I agree 100% discrimination based on sex, preferance, colour ect is rightly fought and defeated. But this thread/issue is not about equality it's about someone not wanting to conform to a rule that is applied across gender the company doesn't want employees wearing tounge studs at work. Take it out get on with work get paid and go enjoy whatever you like to do/wear ect. We work to live not live to work as such we need to separate the two and that includes the demands placed on us by both environments
                      Last edited by yoshie; 2 November 2007, 12:29.
                      Brian

Comment

Leave revolution to the Russians and put as much effort into your work as you have this and you will go far
                        Hi

I have actually given this company nearly 15 years of loyalty - seen 5 major redundancies happen. I work my ass off, stick by all the rules. They promoted me into the Warehouse knowing full well I had it.

Some pathetic jealous individual raises a complaint because that is the only thing they can find wrong with the way I work.

If that is your attitude to freedom of speach or individuality honey - I pity any of your staff.

(I am perffectly calm by the way an not being abusive)

Comment

I disagree we don't force people to sign contracts or to stay put in this day and age.
                          What we do have is this I AM ENTITLED TO attitude no matter what your rules say!
                          Discipline is sadly lacking and a respect for other people .Thatchers 80s attitude has became an epidemic that has ripped the heart from this nation.
                          People are no longer happy with a fair days pay for a fair days work. Many think take take take is the way to go. To start a thread seeking help to fight an employer who has merly requested a dress code is pathetic. I'm sure we all agree kids look smarter in school uniform. Police in uniforms, Nurses I could go on but you get the point. Sometimes falling in line is the correct thing to do. The men who founded the union movement did not suffer so someone could express there fashion sense at work. It was fought to gain and protect far more precious rights that are lost on this generation as they feel the world owes them a living.
                          Thanks for your opinion and comments - everyone is different. I do not expect to be treated different from anyone else, just fairly. Had I been told when offered the job my attitude, as you put it, would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs
                            Hi

I have actually given this company nearly 15 years of loyalty - seen 5 major redundancies happen. I work my ass off, stick by all the rules. They promoted me into the Warehouse knowing full well I had it.

Some pathetic jealous individual raises a complaint because that is the only thing they can find wrong with the way I work.

If that is your attitude to freedom of speach or individuality honey - I pity any of your staff.

(I am perffectly calm by the way an not being abusive)

Someone mention abuse

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                              Someone mention abuse

Ha ha lookin' for posts to delete......feel free

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs
                                Ha ha lookin' for posts to delete......feel free
                                Nah, he's just a post whore.

Comment

Working...
                                X