Long Way Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Way Down

If I had joined the forum tonight my forum name would have been Long Way Down. Charlie Boorman and Ewen McGregor are at it again. This time though they're going down through Africa on their BMWs. Their support vehicles are Nissan Patrols. I would dearly love to do what they are doing in the Surf though. I did spend two months driving around South Africa 2 years ago this Christmas. We went to my Fathers Favorite place called Gods Window (aptly named) just outside of Kruger National Park to scatter his ashes. That experience was amazing. We did it in a Merc Veto 115 and trailer.

Oh yeah its on tonight on Beeb 2.

Loved the long way round! This one looks on track to be just as awesome!! Cant wait for more

Comment

what time?
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

One of the reasons I got the Surf was to do similar trips. My girlfriend and I are looking at moving to South Africa she fell in love with it when we went to say goodbye to my Dad. The plan was to put everything in a container and drive down with an orginised convoy.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
          what time?
          21:00 I think it'll run for a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Long way 'round
            One of the reasons I got the Surf was to do similar trips. My girlfriend and I are looking at moving to South Africa she fell in love with it when we went to say goodbye to my Dad. The plan was to put everything in a container and drive down with an orginised convoy.

Would be awesome to take a surf! One thing that consitantly pops up is how the fuel tank on a surf is too small... but put in an aux fuel tank can solve that one!

Comment

I'm planning on putting a veg 2 tank system with a 45-50lt tank in the Surf because of the fuel prices here but there's no reason that the system can't be used for straight diesel with the heaters turned off so you could use whichever fuel is cheaper.

Comment

Just watched it and i'm gutted. I have to sell my beloved bike to fund a new business venture and i don't want to. I waited for 14 months till it was imported from Japan and now she has to go . A few of us take 10 days touring the continent every year and next year i won't be going. Anyway heres some pics of her.......wave goodbye

http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

That bike is beautifully finished. Is that your boat in the garage? looks pretty good, inboard mmm.

Comment

Tis indeed, we took it to Cornwall this july and it was fantastic. Just a shame it was the same time as the RTTS. Fear not shes staying right where she is.
                    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel
                      Tis indeed, we took it to Cornwall this july and it was fantastic. Just a shame it was the same time as the RTTS. Fear not shes staying right where she is.
                      m8 do you mean shame it was or shame it wasnt same time as rtts, because if its shame it wasnt, rtts was in sept!!!!! n that looks like pentewan sands next to mevagissey, if it was n you went into mevagissey n went on the harbour wall by light house you would have seen my truck there as i fish there alot
                      Last edited by pirate-storm; 29 October 2007, 01:50.

Comment

F@%K the Boat, what a beautiful bike. I am going to have to go and clean the keyboard after dribbling on it.

That is a rwal shame having to get rid of such a bike, hope it is going to someone who appreciates it.

never mind mate when you busniess venture is reaping in its millions you can buy another one out of petty cash and have a spare one just in case.
                        www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

[QUOTE] I would dearly love to do what they are doing in the Surf though. [QUOTE]

Just got back from 3 years in Africa - did Durban to Nairobi 4 times in my 4Runner, that's two Cape to Cairo's - so it can be done!
                          @africa4x4cafe
                          [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Get a dingy and buy an old tourer and ye can paddle around in the dingy and go touring on the old tourer.

Nice bike but just think of all that cleaning you won't have to do anymore giving you more time on the water.
                            www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by ABE
                              F@%K the Boat, what a beautiful bike. I am going to have to go and clean the keyboard after dribbling on it.
                              Completely to wrong way round!!!

The bike is sweet, but the boat is sweeter!
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X