Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gen or 3rd gen

Hi all
    May be silly Q but iam thinking of changing my 2nd gen surf to a 3rd gen, apart from int/ext looks which i like.of the 3rd gen what other differences are there i have at the moment a 93 ssrv ltd 3.0

duds

3rd gen has ABS as standard and you can also use 4WD on the road as it has a centre differential. The drop down tailgate has gone in the 3rd gen, it now has a lift up type tailgate but you can still wind down the window. 16" wheels are standard I think. In my opinion, the interior of a 3rd gen is far better than the 2nd gen.
    Think that's about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
      3rd gen has ABS as standard and you can also use 4WD on the road as it has a centre differential. The drop down tailgate has gone in the 3rd gen, it now has a lift up type tailgate but you can still wind down the window. 16" wheels are standard I think. In my opinion, the interior of a 3rd gen is far better than the 2nd gen.
      Think that's about it...
      Air con(as standard I think?) ,different hand brake(not the "pull out from dash"type which I hate),the SSRG has a parking mirror which is housed in the rear spoiler.
      Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
        Air con(as standard I think?) ,different hand brake(not the "pull out from dash"type which I hate),the SSRG has a parking mirror which is housed in the rear spoiler.

..... Also has twin Airbags, Door bars, Rack and pinion steering, coils springs on front as well as rear (shares chassis with landcruiser prado LWB), wider cabin, longer cargo area (about 2"), lower floor height....
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

gear and 4wd are oposite way around (4wd on left, not right),
          nicer looking dash!

and a partridge in a pear tree!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

The 3rd Gen also has multi mode 4wd which allows you to drive on tarmac in 4wd if need be without transmission windup(handy when there is patchy black ice around).