Snow Chains wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Chains wanted

Anyone know where i can get a second hand set to fit my 31" BFG's?
    Kite Surf

dunno about 2nd hand, they occasionally come up when someone buys a surf that has come across with chains inside. If you decide to buy new give rud chains a call http://www.rud.com/
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar
      Can I ask......Why?

I hope not a stupid Q, but you have 4x4 and good tyres, and when did you last need snow chains in Brighton??

Or do you know something we don't?
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

wasn't it surfstar was posting about ski accomodation wanted a couple of nights ago
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Possibly, but I lived for 6 months in the Frech Alps during the winter, -18degC most days, and often 18" of snow fall during the day, had a series 2 LR with worn out mud tyres on, never had a problem, just used 4WD all the time.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

dunno if these guys make chains small enough for a 31 but pewag's are the best imho.i spent many years driving wagons and coaches,quite a lot to alpine countries during the winter.plumb bob is right though,4wd should be more than ample ,cos a coach with road tyres coming down a mountain =scary

but a surf in 4wd, no problems

http://www.google.com/url?sa=L&ai=Br...HULnasyKGyzaiw
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Some countries will stop cars entering a ski resort to check if they have chains. IME I have never been stopped in a proper 4x4.

I have BFG A/Ts on mine and have only ever got the chains out to have a play and when towing cars out of a very steep drive way with snow / ice over grass.

I'm not sure I'd bother buying chains for a week or two's holiday.

I would:

Make sure my battery is the nuts. Cold eats em up bad.
              Service / replace my glow plugs.
              Not run veg oil (without a heater system).

Also ensure the heating rear window is running OK and possibly the A/C as this helps de-mist windows.

Also unless you have a roof rack arrangement already I would consider a "Handirack", great for skis and snowboards. Have a search on here, I reviewed it last year.

Where you going?
              Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

Originally posted by Ski_Extra
                Some countries will stop cars entering a ski resort to check if they have chains. IME I have never been stopped in a proper 4x4.

I have BFG A/Ts on mine and have only ever got the chains out to have a play and when towing cars out of a very steep drive way with snow / ice over grass.

I'm not sure I'd bother buying chains for a week or two's holiday.

I would:

Make sure my battery is the nuts. Cold eats em up bad.
                Service / replace my glow plugs.
                Not run veg oil (without a heater system).

Also ensure the heating rear window is running OK and possibly the A/C as this helps de-mist windows.

Also unless you have a roof rack arrangement already I would consider a "Handirack", great for skis and snowboards. Have a search on here, I reviewed it last year.

Where you going?
                Off to Les Arcs 1800-2000m, french alps. only getting the chains as ive been told its a legal requirement. I have every faith in my BFGs but if i do lock on i wouldnt stand chance
                Kite Surf

Comment

dont know if the surf's come with all the same kit
                  i found my snow chains in the back of my surf in the back panals behind the 2 back pockets in the back there were in a sack wrote on in jap with a big red toyota a cross the sack
                  but no idea if its a standard thing or not
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I've got a set of (2) unused Michelin 4MX chains. They're heavy duty (i.e. designed for 4x4s, vans and people carriers). They fit 31x10.5x15 which I presume is the size of your BFGs. You can have them for 40 quid but I'm not delivering them or paying for the post.....A fiver will of course go to the forum having saved me an advert.

If you're not going until the new year, I can drop them at TonyN's whenever I go for my winter service (and to take his kite back, if he ever realises I've got it).

I also have a set of RUD chains that will fit up to 235-75-15. They're for the funny little wheels on the early 2nd gens. They might just fit on 31s at a push and they'll go on a smaller 4x4 if you've got one. You can have them for free with the others.

Comment

Working...
                    X