ATF Cooler?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF Cooler?!?!

Anyone see any problem with makeing a cooler out of an intercooler rad, it's a smallish trooper rad about 12"x9" made a plate up on one end with a 8mm tail, but need to get a plate alloy welded on the other end, i know the fluids got to get hot but my engine running (or was) in the 90c's
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Yes? no? dont know? dont give a ****?

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE
      Yes? no? dont know? dont give a ****?
      i'll answer i prefer the later of what you said i dont know m8

Comment

I also don't know. However, an intercooler rad is designed for gasses not oil so I'd go with not suitable. But I may be wrong, which is probable.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

again only guessing, but the intercooler must be designed for a really high flow rate & volume, no idea what the ATF flows like but the volume and rate can't be that high due to the size of the pipes
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

from what i been told my condencer rad for the air con has been made into a atf cooler it leaks from a poped off pipe but its getting looked at at this mo
            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

One of the guys moved to Spain and used his air con condenser as an ATF cooler - it worked.

The intercooler would see pressures of about 10ish psi. The tranny pressures are quite low - notice the pipes are only held on with spring clips. So the cooler should cope with tranny pressure.

I fitted one recently using a cooler off ebay - brand new delivered from the states = £22.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36364

So I suppose my comment is why take the chance - get a real one - although where's the fun in that eh?
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                One of the guys moved to Spain and used his air con condenser as an ATF cooler - it worked.

The intercooler would see pressures of about 10ish psi. The tranny pressures are quite low - notice the pipes are only held on with spring clips. So the cooler should cope with tranny pressure.

I fitted one recently using a cooler off ebay - brand new delivered from the states = £22.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36364

So I suppose my comment is why take the chance - get a real one - although where's the fun in that eh?
                Exactly!! there nothing better than a streak of red oil down the road
                I did'nt think pressure would be a prob cos of the hose clips, was thinking more about the extra volume of atf, about 1 1/2lt more than standard ammount, but cant see a prob, i can fill the rad via a small funnel, the rads got a blancing plug at the unner edge so i can vent it as i fill, think i'll have a go, worst case is the pully will fall off so WTF

Comment

Working...
                X