Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Me With Advice!!! :-)

Hello to all,

I have a question about selecting the right Surf.

I am looking at 4 that I really like but they are different.

1994 3000 Diesel 117,000 kms

1995 3000 Diesel 115,000 kms

1996 3400 Gas 83,000 kms

1996 3000 Diesel 183,000 kms

All are about the same price and all are automatic transmission. I was hoping for some advice on Diesel vs. Gas as well as mileage concerns.

What kind of life can I expect from these cars if they are well cared for? I really like the 1996 3000 Diesel 183,000 kms but I am so worried about the mileage being so high.

I would be grateful for any opinions or personal experiences.

Thank You So Much!!

Skylacker

Depends on what you will do with it - Gas + Offroad = potential problems

The diesels will go on forever if you look after them, 183,000kms is nothing - I've got a 2.4 with 170,000 and a 3.0 with 129,000 - just keep the oil change schedule and grease the bits you need to - and it will last for years.

Welcome to the forum BTW!!
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts.....

Is a 2nd gen better or 3rd gen. I realize that a lot is personal preference but is one less or more prone to issues?

Thanks again.

skylacker

Comment

Originally posted by skylacker
        Is a 2nd gen better or 3rd gen. I realize that a lot is personal preference but is one less or more prone to issues?

Thanks again.

skylacker
        3rd Gen being a newer car, and more 'luxurious' inside - built more for comfort than utility, the 2nd gen is basically the pickup with a boot - slightly more rugged in my opinion, but it's up to your own preference really.

Issues wise, depends on previous owners I guess - the 2nd gen may be a little easier to work on - I'm just filling till an actual expert turns up and says something sensible..

Comment

Thanks again!!

I appreciate your responses.......having another opinion always helps.

Skylacker

Comment

Hi, I think a lot of it boils down to your intended use, are you gonna be doing a lot of offroading, or mainly highway use, how long do you want to keep it for, what's it like to get spares were you are.

You should get 350,000 kms before you need major engine work, although general maintenance and parts replacement is always gonna be needed.

Look at the overall condition of the vehicles, ie; a higher milage that has been well looked after is better han low milage that has been owned by an *sshole.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

1995 3000 diesel all the way, best shape best miles, last for donkeys provided you change oils regularly.
              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

I see you are in the Bahamas, so perhaps that makes a difference

Any engine will last for 350,000 kms if looked after ( regular oil changes basically) If petrol is cheap or if you dont care about mpg and youre not wading round in ponds and water features. The 3.4 petrol is the best engine by a distance. ( in my opinion)

If however youd like a little bit of economy ( and I do mean a bit-just a little bit) then its got to be one of the diesels. and if you do water features then again diesel is best. Offroading in places like the Middle East involves dunes and stuff , not lakes ditches and rivers and nobody drives diesel. but there petrol is cheap cheap cheap so a 4.2 Petrol landcruiser or Nissan Patrol or even a V6 4 runner is just the ticket. Maybe offroading ( if indeed you do any) is similar in the Bahamas. If its going to be diesel Id go for the best looked after of the 94 or 95. Nothing against high mileage vehicles but I think Id prefer it was me piling the miles on. As regards resale lower tends to be better too.

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks to all of you guys.....your awesome!!

Nice to have a forum for this kind of stuff. I am so damn confused however....Maybe some more input from others will help.

I am going to sleep soon and perhaps I will have a vision or dream that might help to guide me. :-)

Thanks again guys!!!

Skylacker

Comment

Originally posted by skylacker
                    Nice to have a forum for this kind of stuff. I am so damn confused however....Maybe some more input from others will help.

I am going to sleep soon and perhaps I will have a vision or dream that might help to guide me. :-)

Thanks again guys!!!

Skylacker
                    Wow - I could do with some of whatever you have before you go to sleep!!

Comment

Working...
                    X