SVO Smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVO Smell?

Newbie here. Waiting on Surf to arrive (1998 3rd generartion SSRG - has two batteries so I think it has winter pack). I'm Interested in SVO option and have read a great deal already. One thing that I'm not sure about is how smelly SVO is. I can understand how WVO would smell like a chippy but how bad is SVO? Are some SVOs better than others - I saw a suggestion in one post that soya didn't smell at all. I know smells are a bit subjective but does anyone have any strong opinions?

PS Tried the search function but it didn't work.

Hi Tavvi, and welcome, the svo has the strength of smell about the same as derv, just smells like a KFC
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

SVO from Somerfield smells rancid, and I expect all the other stores oil smells the same, that's one of the reasons I stopped using it!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        SVO from Somerfield smells rancid, and I expect all the other stores oil smells the same, that's one of the reasons I stopped using it!
        That and it would probably knacker your V8....
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

I love the smell of KTC and it doesn't give you headaches like diesel does when the fumes get sucked in the back window. Makes you hungry after a while though.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

i would sooner smell the veg then the fumes from petrol or desiel
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
              I love the smell of KTC and it doesn't give you headaches like diesel does when the fumes get sucked in the back window. Makes you hungry after a while though.

Is that Kentucky Torched Chicken?

Comment

nope, just the only brand veg oil i've used, i believe they make most of the supermarket own brands aswell anyway.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Is that Kentucky Torchered Chicken?

Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Well that clears that up! Thanks for the responses.

My brother in law has a 92 Isuzo Bighorn 3.1tdi and I don't smell any diesel fumes at all in his cab - I'd expect the same from the Surf. Do you guys all drive with the windows open all day?

I suppose I could try the svo and if I don't like the smell I can go back to 100% diesel - assuming the svo smell doesn't cling to everything and take months to clear.

Comment

Originally posted by tavvi
                      Well that clears that up! Thanks for the responses.

My brother in law has a 92 Isuzo Bighorn 3.1tdi and I don't smell any diesel fumes at all in his cab - I'd expect the same from the Surf. Do you guys all drive with the windows open all day?

I suppose I could try the svo and if I don't like the smell I can go back to 100% diesel - assuming the svo smell doesn't cling to everything and take months to clear.
                      it mainly comes in when the rear window is down as the tail pipe exits at the rear.If you got a side exit exhaust then you won't get much of the fumes coming in
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

2nd gen surfs (89-95) have a tendency to pull the fumes back in the tailgate window if you drive round with it open, a lot of us do when we are offroad.
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

Is there anybody out there who can say "I use svo, drive with the windows up and I don't really smell anything"?

Comment

you don't smell it at all unless the rear window is open.
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

Originally posted by tavvi
                              Is there anybody out there who can say "I use svo, drive with the windows up and I don't really smell anything"?

I think it's pretty much the same as diesel or petrol in the same truck - if you already have one, drive around using diesel, with the rear window open, or others, and sniff - then close the windows and sniff - you may find it's the same probability of smelling the burnt fuel, whatever the fuel is.....
                              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Working...
                              X