Brake calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake calipers

Has anyone changed the dust covers on the pistons of their front brake calipers?

If so, was it an easy job? Is it just a case of pulling the pistons out, changing the seals, and pushing them back in again? Not done this job before, so need a bit of a helping hand. My dust covers have seen better days and I've ordered a re-seal kit from Toyota.

Cheers in advance.

No need to pull the pistons right out. There's a metal ring holding the dust covers into the piston grooves, a small screwdriver is all you need.

Comment

This might give you an idea of the bits and pieces.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/brakes.htm
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

if you are going to change the piston seal ring which should be in with the toyota caliper service kit , you will need to pop out the piston .

mole grip the flexi hose after pumping the brake pistons out about half way. remove caliper from flexi hose . i used an air pump on the bleed nipple to pop out pistons , once on smear rubber seal with brake fluid carefully line piston up into its hole and push it home square , dont nip rubber seal on edges of hole , it has to enter perfectly.

as vince w says the dust covers simply held in place with a metal ring clip.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          No need to pull the pistons right out. There's a metal ring holding the dust covers into the piston grooves, a small screwdriver is all you need.

Cheers Vince.

So you can fit these dust covers without having to bleed the system through? I presume they just plug in and then you use the metal clip??

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
            Cheers Vince.

So you can fit these dust covers without having to bleed the system through? I presume they just plug in and then you use the metal clip??

Cheers

Yep.

Comment

Working...
            X