Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious Squealing

Hi

My surf has developed a highly annoying squeal. It happens when I am driving along. It does not happen when I am stationary. When I accelerate it is OK but when it decelerates I get the sqealing. When I stick my head out of the window as I slow down the noise seems to be coming from the wheel area but I can't be sure. When I am stationary and I rev the engine there is no noise so I don't think it is engine related. Has anybody experienced this before? it's driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
    [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Brakes?

You say this happens when decellerating - does this happen while you're braking?

ie Could it be brake pad squeal?

Rob

Comment

squealing

it sounds like your brake pads are low , when they are low there is a metal attachment on the pads that start to grate on the disc before the pad wears out completely , kind of a warning device!

hope thats all it is. WADE.

Comment

Don't think it is brake related as when I brake it makes no difference to the squeal. Also, the brakes were checked two weeks ago on the service and the report said they had another 8000 miles to go before they need replacing.
        [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

Comment

It seems to get worse the colder the engine is!

Comment

Originally posted by The Griff
            It seems to get worse the colder the engine is!
            Paul.

Sounds like the drive belts to me. When the engine is colder they will be stiffer and more likely to slip. When they get warm they get sticky like tyres and slip less.

It is quite possible they would only slip on the overrun rather than when accelerating - depends which one it is and where the major pull comes from and in what direction.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Andy

I am a mechanical 'numpty' to say the least!
              How many drive belts are there?
              Is it a big job to change them
              (Expensive)?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by The Griff
                Thanks Andy

I am a mechanical 'numpty' to say the least!
                How many drive belts are there?
                Is it a big job to change them
                (Expensive)?

Cheers
                Think it's 4 or 5 , can't remember and it's dark outside. Not too difficult to change, just a bit fiddly. If you got a garage to do it they'd do it in 1/2 hour and charge you an hour probably.

Fairly cheap to buy, maybe £12 for all of them - again can't remember but that are available from Milners - however some people here have been having problems getting the correct ones from them.

It may only be adjustment that is needed. All of the belts are adjustable with idler pulleys. There is also a non adjustable idler on the largest best that has a bearing in it that maybe the one causing the squealing - a spray of WD40 on it should prove the point, however if it is squealing then it is knackered and needs replacing. WD40 won't cure it forever and if you get any on the belts they will slip even worse.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X