Yoda Lives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

know what!!!

we are so usd to ultra modern reliability,yet these motors hark back to when a little bit of input was needed.

the old rover v8 is a good point in question.
    if you drove it gently all the time,it would invariably clag up and misbehave.im not advocating wholesale lunatic driving,just that occasionally they need "exercising"

a bad thing though for any mechanical thing (imho) is not using it.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
      know what!!!

we are so usd to ultra modern reliability,yet these motors hark back to when a little bit of input was needed.

the old rover v8 is a good point in question.
      if you drove it gently all the time,it would invariably clag up and misbehave.im not advocating wholesale lunatic driving,just that occasionally they need "exercising"

a bad thing though for any mechanical thing (imho) is not using it.
      Yes indeed, my uncle had an old bentley and he took it in to be serviced before due because he felt it sluggish, 20 mins later i saw the mechanic horsing it up dual carriage way at 110mph, when he got it back my uncle was delighted and the mechanic said no charge as no service
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

m,lud

the defence rests its case

Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I'm trying to catch up on all the work I've missed out on since I've been changing the head!!!!

Will try this afternoon.

It's got new (cheap) 15/40 with the old filter. Good quality oil and new filter was meant to go in after 300km...

Thanks for the interest, support and useful suggestions.
          Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

Originally posted by Ski_Extra
            I'm trying to catch up on all the work I've missed out on since I've been changing the head!!!!

Will try this afternoon.

It's got new (cheap) 15/40 with the old filter. Good quality oil and new filter was meant to go in after 300km...

Thanks for the interest, support and useful suggestions.
            we are all on tenterhooks here mate,keep us informed

pleaseeeeeee!!!!!

(though i do quite fancy a swiss rescue mission)
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

nay bother you'll be fine mate, if its running ok, youll have no probs. Fuel filter may be an option.

Keep us posted were rivited
              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Ok, been for a drive and it ain't good.

Went for 15 minutes and everything seemed OK. The injector leakage pipe was loose and I was loosing diesel. Put the pipe on and had to go home.

Left the car for around 10 minutes. Driving up a small slope, had to slow down for some road works. The engine cut out. Re-started no problem. Then within 50m the engine started to over heat. Needle went from fine to bad within seconds. Pulled over, cut the engine. Bubbling in the over flow tank.

Left the car for 30 mins. Started no problem. Home was all downhill so I just let it cruise. 3 times it cut out when I was revving the engine.

There is possibly some oil in the overflow tank (looks like a very small film).

So the head gaskets not on correctly then? Or is the car just a lemon? I've only got 3rd party but this thing is heading off the side of a mountain any minute...

Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

not another one
                  sorry i cant help you, but im watching this topic to see how it goes.

hopefully someone very soon will be here to post something useful..

just asking: that the thermostat, and rad cap have been replaced when you did the head?
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Thermostat isn't in it at the moment. I was planning on driving home without it and then picking one up from Roughtrax.

Radiator cap was done a few weeks before I finally admitted that the head had blown. OK. Stupid question time. The local garage did the cap, the old one had a button you could press to release pressure etc. The new one is fixed and marked 0.9. Again I was planning on getting a new one when home but figured this one was only a couple of weeks old.
                    Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

rad may be blocked and caused the crack in the first place. theyre cheap here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Hi-ace-...QQcmdZViewItem
                      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Man would I be happy if it was just a blocked radiator!!!

I'm really down on the car tonight. I tried my hardest but I'm really worried that I've messed up the head gasket.

Scrubbed the block, it was all shiny and nice. Cleaned with turps. Brand new head, cleaned with turps. Brand new stretch bolts, all torqued to spec.

Nasty old radiator... nasty... dirty... old... Could it be????

edit: too much wine already. love firefox spell check...
                        Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

If it was just a blocked radiator how do you explain the smoke???
                          Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

what head was it ?

did you use a brand new head or did you use a reconditioned one
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

The head came from a dude in London. Brand new head, reconditioned parts, complete.

New t-belt, lined up, to the best of my knowledge, OK.

Runs smooth most of the time. Can cut out when idling, especially after effort.

Changing smoke in exhaust. Sometimes very little, appears to be different colors at different RPMs. Sometimes white, or gray, or black. Sometimes very little smoke.
                              Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

lets assume some things.

the rad cap and t/stat are both nearly new

water flows throught he rad when disconnected.

the injectors are bolted down and glo plug feed bar is suppling feed

the water pump works

all hoses are done up correctly in the right places.

you got at least eigt/nine litres of water/coolant in to the system,
                                and burped it /bled it properly with the rear heater switch turned to hot

the expansion tank is about a third full

the viscous fan is working as is the electric fan on front of rad

and it ocurs,

the head is bolted down properly and to whatever the torque settings in nm are,and the bolts are not to long and need washers underneath
                                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X