LPG Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPG Surf

Searched the forum but that means nothing co's my computery skills are $$$$.

Has anyone done an LPG gas conversion if so how much and where can we get the bits.

Veg oil becoming so expensive LPG might be the way for me to go as they have one a garage in Highlands which supplies it.

Cheers JB
    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

It's not quite this simple but in general lpg conversions are only done on petrol engines.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

If you start with a petrol one, you're looking at about 2k. With the new tax deal on veg, that's got to be cheaper..

Comment

so you carnt convert a diesel to lpg?
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK
          so you carnt convert a diesel to lpg?
          Yes you can, and not only that, the grants are still available in Scotland (unlike in the UK). I recently bumped into a bloke with a conversion on a diesel Galaxy. He had broken down mind!

Comment

Originally posted by contaminated
            Yes you can, and not only that, the grants are still available in Scotland (unlike in the UK). I recently bumped into a bloke with a conversion on a diesel Galaxy. He had broken down mind!
            mmmm dont sound good if you runn on LPG then it need to be a good runner for me i normaly do lots of miles

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1
              Searched the forum but that means nothing co's my computery skills are $$$$.

Has anyone done an LPG gas conversion if so how much and where can we get the bits.

Veg oil becoming so expensive LPG might be the way for me to go as they have one a garage in Highlands which supplies it.

Cheers JB
              more than one garage in highlands doing lpg
              www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by contaminated
                Not so sure

From what i have read you can use LPG to increase diesel performance, BUT not as an only fuel.

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/diesel.html

http://www.chilterngascars.co.uk/cars/lpgdiesel.htm

http://www.diesellpg.co.uk/

So looks like we're going to have to carry on burning oil of some variety
                My other cars a QUAD
                (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Seems to me that you want to run your diesel Surf for the costs of a Nissan Micra.

I get a dammed site less to the gallon (PETROL) than any of you oil burners, about 16 mpg and I use the truck everyday, yet you don’t hear me moaning.

Just accept that big 4x4’s have higher running costs than your typically boring family hatchback.
                  Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

LPG conversions on diesel, unless doing huge miles will not pay, as you use app 1/3 gas and 2/3 diesel and you then have to add on conversion cost. Veg oil better.
                    Philip
                    Still Searching,
                    Dick Whittington

Comment

LPG just replaces some of the diesel, so you still need some diesel, and a little bit of cheaper LPG, so it takes longer to recoup you expenditure on the kit than a petrol car.

The good news you get big performace boost, like a slightly tamer Nitros shot in petrol cars.

Bad news is apparently you lose a lot of engine braking, so you get through brake pads and isn't great offroad.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks for your ideas I will stick to the diesel sunflower mix for now.

Cheers JB

Comment

Originally posted by ABE
                          more than one garage in highlands doing lpg
                          Good to know I only realised BP Fort William was doing it when I saw a massive motor home filling up with the strange nozzle and went over for a nosey.

Comment

well i know its cheaper to convert a petrol engine than a diesel
                            (been looking in to it) most placers have refused to give me a price
                            they say it carnt be done on a TD engine
                            some have given me a price 2200 quid diesel 1600 quid for petrol

there is no saveing on fuel with that sort of cost on a diesl engine
                            petrol on the other hand can be ran on just LPG after its fitted
                            diesel like its all ready been said needs both fuels to run too much cost there then
                            i all so looked for a LPG surf for sale i found 1 and only one
                            on ebay and its at 7 grand last time i looked
                            the 3.0 v6 petrol surf is very hard to find not many of those around but cheaper to convert to LPG

after my full night of looking if you want LPG then get a 3.0 v6 (3500 quid or highter)and then convert it to LPG (1600 quid) witch by the time you paid for all that you could have ran a surf of any kind for about 2 years
                            i dont mind feeding my surf its not that greedy realy it cost me 300 quid to do rotherham to glasgow and back with the lead foot on (not bad for its size and me driveing)
                            i had a 3.0 senitor ex cop car that cost me 350 quid to do the same trip
                            with lead foot on
                            so it dont matter what you drive if you want to save money on fuel its down to the size of your engine
                            get a mini and you be fine
                            hilux are not the greedist out there you know

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK
                              well i know its cheaper to convert a petrol engine than a diesel
                              (been looking in to it) most placers have refused to give me a price
                              they say it carnt be done on a TD engine
                              some have given me a price 2200 quid diesel 1600 quid for petrol

there is no saveing on fuel with that sort of cost on a diesl engine
                              petrol on the other hand can be ran on just LPG after its fitted
                              diesel like its all ready been said needs both fuels to run too much cost there then
                              i all so looked for a LPG surf for sale i found 1 and only one
                              on ebay and its at 7 grand last time i looked
                              the 3.0 v6 petrol surf is very hard to find not many of those around but cheaper to convert to LPG

after my full night of looking if you want LPG then get a 3.0 v6 (3500 quid or highter)and then convert it to LPG (1600 quid) witch by the time you paid for all that you could have ran a surf of any kind for about 2 years
                              i dont mind feeding my surf its not that greedy realy it cost me 300 quid to do rotherham to glasgow and back with the lead foot on (not bad for its size and me driveing)
                              i had a 3.0 senitor ex cop car that cost me 350 quid to do the same trip
                              with lead foot on
                              so it dont matter what you drive if you want to save money on fuel its down to the size of your engine
                              get a mini and you be fine
                              hilux are not the greedist out there you know
                              But I'd never pull 3 ton of gravel with a mini

Comment

Working...
                              X