Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with viewing a Surf this Sunday

Hi guys!
    I'm considering travelling to Braintree on Sunday to see this machine: http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/iad...cz9hzpJu387957
    It's a fresh import, it seems, so can I ask whether there's anyone here who might be available to give us a hand with seeing this as I'm new to the Hilux and don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge anyway. We'll be travelling from Warwickshire so if anyone interested lives on route or close to it, we'll pick you up.
    Many thanks.
    Michael
    Last edited by Surf-wannabe; 3 October 2007, 19:40.

Its low mileage but seems a bit overpriced it me

Comment

Yes, it is overpriced, aren't they all on a showcourt. They do p/ex however and that's what I'm after.

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler
        Its low mileage but seems a bit overpriced it me
        And me....keep looking
        Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

In my opinion very over priced and they will be giving you a low part ex for yours so you could lose out on both fronts. It’s always better to sell your own car private if you can. I know this is not always possible.

If you have not already ask about the warranty for that price you should have at least a 12 month warranty from a dealer.

You probably have already but take a look on www.autotrader.co.uk and www.ebay.co.uk you will see what else there is and compare the prices etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler
            In my opinion very over priced and they will be giving you a low part ex for yours so you could lose out on both fronts. It’s always better to sell your own car private if you can. I know this is not always possible.

If you have not already ask about the warranty for that price you should have at least a 12 month warranty from a dealer.

You probably have already but take a look on www.autotrader.co.uk and www.ebay.co.uk you will see what else there is and compare the prices etc.
            Have been looking everywhere for about 3 months now and know the prices very well on all sites. Know the theory too, but don't really want or need the hassle of a private sale. I only have 1 car, don't want to end up with 2 or none for a while. ALL trade 3L Surfs at around 60k miles are prices close to £4000. Do not trust Ebay stuff so I'm not gonna.

Comment

I would want a full gauranteed 2 year warranty at that price and get the insurance thrown in against break down cost of recovery and repair.

Has it got the old head that goes pop after 60k miles?

Doing it again I'd go for cheep and then if the worst happens it's going into a garage for engine rebuild 1250 quid or new head 1250 quid. It would only be off the road for a few days.

If it breaks from the fore court could be weeks sourcing parts etc. The guy's on here are all expert top blokes who would keep you right.

Oh and green isn't that supposed to be unlucky!

Good luck with whatever you decide welcome on board.

Cheers JB
              www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1
                I would want a full gauranteed 2 year warranty at that price and get the insurance thrown in against break down cost of recovery and repair.

Has it got the old head that goes pop after 60k miles?

Doing it again I'd go for cheep and then if the worst happens it's going into a garage for engine rebuild 1250 quid or new head 1250 quid. It would only be off the road for a few days.

If it breaks from the fore court could be weeks sourcing parts etc. The guy's on here are all expert top blokes who would keep you right.

Oh and green isn't that supposed to be unlucky!

Good luck with whatever you decide welcome on board.

Cheers JB
                Hey, I know guys here are very knowledgeable which I why I'm asking for advice (if you see my earlier posts)... some advice I got here was that 3L engines don't have the head problems of the 2.4 or certainly not at such low mileage. If they did, why would you want to buy one? Confused!

Comment

3.0 heads do go pop after all i own one that went , there is less chance of 3.0 heads going but it all depends how well they have been looked after ie coolant rad etc, as for mileage i am allways sceptical how so many get imported with low mileage but that just might be my suspicous nature
                  most i would pay for a bog standard 3.0 is £3000
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

And my tuppence worth

Buying at that price from a dealer, you are in effect paying 1000 pounds or more for a guarantee that you may never need,and which will likely only last 6 months tops anyway, and will probably have run out if you do need it. Buy private and you have that 1000 pounds, in the event that you need it.
                    Regarding ebay Im sure theres a mixture of lemons and diamonds on there. The key I guess is your own views after a bit of tyre kicking, or the knowledgable friend advice or even an indepent inspection.

I bought my first Surf from a dealer and definitely paid way too much for it. Having said that I owned and ran it fault free for two years. My second one came from the forum at a reasonable price and has been just as good. ( I,ll be selling it soon btw as Ive just purchased Surf no 3 , an intercooled 3rd gen)

I know you want the ability to p/ex , but if you can find a good one at a good price, you can privately flog your car at a good price and still be quids in by a long shot as Ive absolutely NO doubt that youll get a $$$$ price from a dealer.

Theres loads of good ones around at decent prices both on ebay and in autotrader, pistonheads, wherever. In the end only you know what is best for you, but I would rather buy cheaper privately, keep the savings for beef, bling, whatever, and then hope I never needed it for a major repair.

Bogus
                    Сви можемо

Comment

I agree with joker (damn!!!) its got to be really good for more than £3-3.5, with a cast iron warrenty to fix the head.

Don't get over paranoid about the heads on 3.0's, they are much stronger than 2.4's, much more like normal rate of failures for any car.

I'd get one privately if at all poss, bet beware of anything to cheap, its normally the reflection of a guilty consience of the owner. If you really NEED the P/X, then you are at the mercy of the dealer.

It looks clean enough, but check the insides of the rear bumpers for rust, and definatly bargain some money off for rear springs and shocks as it has the usual saggy arse (its acutually not that bad, the running board is nearly level with the ground, but the lower rear arches make it look tail heavy so might work). Never believe the milage, unless it has Jap documents, they are rarely genuine, its normally to much to resist as the dealer has the dash of to change the speedo and usually knocks a little off.

Originally posted by joker??
                      3.0 heads do go pop after all i own one that went , there is less chance of 3.0 heads going but it all depends how well they have been looked after ie coolant rad etc, as for mileage i am allways sceptical how so many get imported with low mileage but that just might be my suspicous nature
                      most i would pay for a bog standard 3.0 is £3000
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

I agree with joker (damn!!!) its got to be really good for more than £3-3.5, with a cast iron warrenty to fix the head.

Comment

@ Chicken dude....Keep editing dude!!!

ROTFLMAO

I'll fix it.......

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

As the others say

On the same site http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/iad...c8wBXqiF581847

3ltr Surf £2,995.00 63,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                              @ Chicken dude....Keep trying dude!!!

ROTFLMAO

Comment

Working...
                              X