Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be buying my first surf

Hi everyone,

Would just like to pick your brains about this Toyota Surf lark. I live in Sweden and am just about to buy a house in the forest. I am anticipating doing some building work so was thinking about buying something more pratical than my saab 9-5 to cart stuff about in. So here I am looking at these Toyota surfs. My brother bought an early 90's Pajero a while back an quite frankly I thought it was rubbish. I've read a few reviews about the Surfs and have been scared off the 2.4's because of apparent overheating issues and am looking at the 3.0 diesel - early 90's. So my questions are these -
    1. are they any good?
    2. What sort of things should I be looking out for when buying one?
    3. What sort of MPG should I expect at say 50mph?
    4. The registration here in Sweden is pretty strict. All the lights have to be E-marked. Even indicators and rear lights etc. Are any of the Jap imports E-marked? Obviously I will need to get headlights for left hand drive. Are they the same on the 4 runner?
    5. What are they like to work on? I'm handy with the spanners so I'm not a stranger to the oily bits.

Originally posted by MinesGTR
    Hi everyone,

Would just like to pick your brains about this Toyota Surf lark. I live in Sweden and am just about to buy a house in the forest. I am anticipating doing some building work so was thinking about buying something more pratical than my saab 9-5 to cart stuff about in. So here I am looking at these Toyota surfs. My brother bought an early 90's Pajero a while back an quite frankly I thought it was rubbish. I've read a few reviews about the Surfs and have been scared off the 2.4's because of apparent overheating issues and am looking at the 3.0 diesel - early 90's. So my questions are these -
    1. are they any good?
    2. What sort of things should I be looking out for when buying one?
    3. What sort of MPG should I expect at say 50mph?
    4. The registration here in Sweden is pretty strict. All the lights have to be E-marked. Even indicators and rear lights etc. Are any of the Jap imports E-marked? Obviously I will need to get headlights for left hand drive. Are they the same on the 4 runner?
    5. What are they like to work on? I'm handy with the spanners so I'm not a stranger to the oily bits.
    You're in the right place then! More experienced people than I will be along to help with your questions.

If it's any help you can get a 3.0L manual in Switzerland pretty cheap. LHD and likely to meet some of the Swedish requirements.

Surfing is a way of life. Get one.

Can we come and drive ours in your forest?
    Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

That's interesting. Would that be the 4runner you are talking about?
      Does anybody have any opinions as to the advantages / disadvantages of manual / auto gearboxes ?
      Would you happen to have any links to LHD surfs in Switzerland?

Comment

Thought I would add that I have nothing against driving a right hooker as I'm english. I really just need to know if there are EU spec lights for them . Were they ever produced for the european market in the early 90's? There are a couple of 4 runners for sale here in Sweden but they are very rusty and very expensive. The Jap stuff usually seems to be in better nick which is why I am veering towards the jap import route.

Comment

The toyota EPC shows a LHD kzn 130 under the european area cds. And it shows two different headlights for each side, a normal one and a Federal Republic of Germany one.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Do the Hilux pickups have the same front?

Comment

Do the Hilux pickups have the same front?
              nope, none of them are the same as a 3.0Ltr 2nd gen. I guess it might be possible to swap the whole grille and everything to the early 2.4 2nd gen one, which i think was shared with a mk.3 pickup.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                nope, none of them are the same as a 3.0Ltr 2nd gen. I guess it might be possible to swap the whole grille and everything to the early 2.4 2nd gen one, which i think was shared with a mk.3 pickup.
                i have just had a look at my headlights and there is no eu emlem embossed or other wise in the glass
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                  i have just had a look at my headlights and there is no eu emlem embossed or other wise in the glass
                  SURFS wont show EU as they were never produced for EUrope Some UK
                  4Runners may have though.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Thought I would add that I have nothing against driving a right hooker as I'm english. I really just need to know if there are EU spec lights for them . Were they ever produced for the european market in the early 90's? There are a couple of 4 runners for sale here in Sweden but they are very rusty and very expensive. The Jap stuff usually seems to be in better nick which is why I am veering towards the jap import route.
                    A 4Runner of the same year should have the same headlights as a Surf. You may therefore be able to buy a Jap Surf, and source some 4Runner lights, and fit them.

As to Auto vs Manual, general thinking is that Auto can have the edge as there is no loss of traction when it changes gear. But at the end of the day there is probably not much in it, and it comes down to personal choice.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

All good info. I can source secondhand 4runner lights here in Sweden so that is one problem solved. Do all the surfs have the jap kmh speedo with a 180 kmh limit? I'm wondering if most of them have been converted to mph and if so is it a mechanical converter or the electronic type?

Comment

Would you happen to have any links to LHD surfs in Switzerland?
                        You won't find a LHD Surf, all are RHD.

All good info. I can source secondhand 4runner lights here in Sweden so that is one problem solved. Do all the surfs have the jap kmh speedo with a 180 kmh limit? I'm wondering if most of them have been converted to mph and if so is it a mechanical converter or the electronic type?
                        They vary, most have the dash face changed, others have a elec gadget behind the dash to recalibrate the signal. Older mechainally driven speedos also can have a small geared adapter. All are easily removed to get it working in KPH again.

Your options seem to be a straight EU spec 4Runner, RHD Surf with EU spec lights retro fitted, or if you want a non-rusty LHD truck, a US 4Runner with EU lights retro fitted, but you won't a diesel.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Now you are confusing me.

I don't want a LHD surf as I mentioned before. I also know that all are RHD.
                          I want the surf as I want a non-rusty diesel with all the extras. I think the hilux mentioned in Switzerland must have been a 4runner

Do the 4runner lights fit the Surf? If so then that's all my problems sorted.

Is the 94/95 an electronic speedo converter?
                          Last edited by MinesGTR; 2 October 2007, 10:32.

Comment

Sorry.

93-95 headlights should all be the same shape, all 2nd gen taillights are the same. So any 93-95 EU 4runner should have headlight to fit the Surf.

Obviously need to be EU scoursed, as UK head lights are for RHD trucks, even though they'll have E mark.

About 91-92 on all had electronic speedos, but some importers just fit a different spaced speedo face so the needle points to the right numbers, other fit the gismo behind the dash, and leave the dash face alone.

Now you are confusing me.

I don't want a LHD surf as I mentioned before. I also know that all are RHD.
                            I want the surf as I want a non-rusty diesel with all the extras. I think the hilux mentioned in Switzerland must have been a 4runner

Do the 4runner lights fit the Surf? If so then that's all my problems sorted.

Is the 94/95 an electronic speedo converter?
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                            X