Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying surf next week.

Hello everybody,

I have been thinking of buying a 4x4 for ages now and after visiting many a garage decided the surf was definitely the way to go, what an excellent vehicle!

I was advised before buying to have a look at this website and I have been glued to the screen since, I'm struggling to take in all the information but I have bit the bullet and today have put a deposit on a SSRX 3.0 tURBO Diesel,1995, I pick it up next Tuesday and I am going to have plenty of sleepless nights in anticipation .

Can anyone please let me know how I am going to get a insurance certificate when I go to the DVLA when I haven't the registration number?
    I have been given the choice to register the vehicle myself or the trader will do it for me, which is best?

Thanks.
    Mark.

why

welcome to the nut house m8 and surf ownership youll love it ok why would you want to register it yourself when the dealer can do it do you have a personal registration plate if so i found it just as well to let the dealer do it all saves the hassle
    black n tan
    black n tan
    yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

If I remember right you should get an import document with the vehicle which you take to your county's vehicle registration dept, you pay 10% of the vehicles value and they give you a document with your new registration number which is related to the year of the vehicle if it was made in the UK (in my case the current year).
      You then send this off to Swansea DVLA and they send you a log book or V5.
      Forgive me if i'm wrong but it was quite a while ago I bought an Enduro bike out of the crate.
      Ps. Slydog is right, the dealer selling normally does this!
      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

10%!!!!!!!!! Sod that! Get the dealer to do it. You don't need the reg number straight away to insure it, just the chassis number which will be on the invoice the dealer gave you.

Comment

10% of my cars value wouldve been £800!!!!!!! That sounds a like an expensive piece of paper!

Comment

surf

Let the dealer register it and you can use it as soon as you get it off him.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

Thanks all for the information, I believe the dealer has paid upfront for everything apart from the registering at the DVLA and said it would cost £165.00 which he has taken off the price. Apparently I will then be the first registered driver in this country.

Thanks also for the info on the insurance, I will sort this out soon, is there any good insurance companies that will give me a good quote (you know what they say about the Welsh being tight with the money)!!

Cheers,
              Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by taffymark
                Thanks all for the information, I believe the dealer has paid upfront for everything apart from the registering at the DVLA and said it would cost £165.00 which he has taken off the price. Apparently I will then be the first registered driver in this country.

Thanks also for the info on the insurance, I will sort this out soon, is there any good insurance companies that will give me a good quote (you know what they say about the Welsh being tight with the money)!!

Cheers,
                Mark.
                Mark.

There are quite a few threads about insurance here, so have a look. There is also an item in the FAQ section. Mines with Tescos £460 per annum fully comp, £100 excess, £50 windscreen excess. Got full no claims and protected no claims.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by taffymark

Cheers,
                  Mark.
                  Q - Why hasnt he registered it himself Mark?
                  Surely if he's a bona fide dealer its no problem for him.
                  It may be worth the price of a phone call to contact your local vehicle registration office or maybe customs and excise and ask them about import tax on imported vehicles, I hope i'm wrong but as I said before there was a fee of 10% of the vehicles sale value payable on that MX bike I bought, so a £5K car = £500 payable!
                  Last edited by Woodie; 26 February 2004, 20:47.
                  ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Registration does not cost that much,it is the price of 6 months road tax (£88 I think) plus £25 for the actual registration.

Also any import duty and Vat should have been paid when the vehicle passed through customs and excise,so you will not have to pay any more.

Comment

Ladies/Gents,

Thanks for the replies, I have taken all the information given and the alarm bells certanly were ringing, I've decided to tell the guy the deal is off as it sounded much too complicated. I work away from home and I'm not due to travel home until Tuesday evening back to South Wales. On the way home I'm stopping off at North Wales to view a private 3.0 1994 SSRV ,it looks great in the photos and souds good by the description. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully will be a Surf owner soon!!

Cheers,
                      Mark.

Comment

Insurance/Registration

Hi Mark,

Good luck with the new Surf.

I got my insurance through Direct Line, with only the Chassis Number at a cost of £330, fully comp.

The registration fee for the DVLA has just gone up and is now £38. Plus your Normal Car tax. This takes about 3-5 days, before you get a number and the log book.

Then you've got to buy the number plates another £25.00, and remember when your buying the plates that the rear number plate is not a standard size. You should measure this before ordering your plates.

If the dealer is charging you £165, this should include Number plates, Road Tax and registration, its probably then not bad value for the hassle it will save.
                        regards
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X