anybody know about traffic law??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slim
    There were two cops, but the second one as not made a statment. i intend on asking for any evidence that they have as i beleave this is my right..

i have spoken to a motoring lawyer whom as said that because i contested it and that i told the police officer that i didnt think i had gone through a red light, then the out come will be little diffrent what ever i do now, apart from if i plead not guilty and are found to be guilty then the fine will be a little higher.

Yes, ask for all evidence, and copies of all statements against you, if you do this, I'm sure the second statement will miraculasly turn up, but if you're in for a penny already, then you may as well go all the way.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

on your driving test you learn to slow down whatever colour the light is, then proceed when it is safe to do so, i.e. a green light...

so not being able to stop in time is a poor defence!

can't see how you'd cause an accident by stopping for a red light... anyone behind you should also see the lights and be prepared to stop.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Ah, but if the light is green as you approach, and turns amber when you are only yards away ( doing 25-30mph) you won't be able to stop in time whatever vehicle you're in, as the highway code gives stopping distance at 30mph as about 70 feet, so the safest thing to do is carry on through.The amber light is a signal to get ready to stop.
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

lets put it this way i was learn to all ways be in controle of the motor i was driving at the time the larger the motor the less chance of stopping suddenly
          its some times safer to not slam the brakes on at amber lights at the end of it all biger motors take longer to stop
          make sure you go down the (thinking of other motorists and prestians)road

and you be fine
          unless you got lead foot at amber lights then take the fine and pionts

happends to a lot of HGV drivers when loaded (some ppl dont under stand they carnt slam brakes on too)
          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

RED=STOP

AMBER=STOP, unless you have already crossed the line, or you are so close that to stop could cause an accident.

RED+AMBER=STOP

GREEN=GO, if it is safe to do so

the police say you went on red, not amber or green

p.s. Artic has 12 brakes, no problem... just makes your arse twitch!
            Last edited by da SLUG man; 1 October 2007, 00:33.

Comment

If the lights go to amber this is the signal to stop. The "dangerous to stop" argument does not always hold water and needs to be used very wisely and carefully, because for example if i braked hard the car behind me would have hit me, then they are to blame, not you, as they would then be deemed to be travelling to close.
              You should always approach lights in the anticipation they will change, there is a 3 second delay in going from amber to red, enough time to stop if you approached the lights anticipating them changing. Only to continue if you were past the white line or on top of it.

There are man misconceptions among motorists so it is worth a quick summary of the law.

A red light means stop and you should wait behind the stop line on the road
              Red and amber together means "prepare for a green light" but you should not anticipate it and should not cross the stop line until the green light has occurred.
              Green means you can proceed, but you should be prepared to give way to pedestrians if making any turn.
              Amber also means stop, and you only should proceed if you are already beyond the stop line, or if failing to stop would be likely to cause an accident. While this would appear to offer a defence, it is a double-edged sword as telling a police officer that the lights were "only" on amber could be deemed to be an admission of guilt.
              The "avoidance of accident" defence is much more likely to succeed if the road is busy or wet.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

If you are sure you are right and they have said that they can provide evidence to the contrary then the same evidence will prove your innocence.
                If you are right then they wont even take it to court after looking at the CCTV footage. If they turn up with it then you are probably in the s**t.

Comment

From what Koi says, it seems very clear cut… you knowingly went through on Amber and admitted it to the police. They will simply say Amber = Stop and you failed to comply.

As others have said, you should always expect the lights to change and drive accordingly. A few years back I stopped briskly for a set of lights…. and then felt an impact in the rear….. get out to find a black BMW had run into the back of my Series Landrover…. BMW had the front smashed up a fair bit, while I sustained a 1cm cut to the left rear mud flap….. phoned the insurance company later and basically told them that if I could stop a 30 year old Landrover with drum brakes in time for the lights, then he must have been going too fast in his modern, ABS equipped car….. never did hear anymore.
                  Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
                    From what Koi says, it seems very clear cut… you knowingly went through on Amber and admitted it to the police. They will simply say Amber = Stop and you failed to comply.

As others have said, you should always expect the lights to change and drive accordingly. A few years back I stopped briskly for a set of lights…. and then felt an impact in the rear….. get out to find a black BMW had run into the back of my Series Landrover…. BMW had the front smashed up a fair bit, while I sustained a 1cm cut to the left rear mud flap….. phoned the insurance company later and basically told them that if I could stop a 30 year old Landrover with drum brakes in time for the lights, then he must have been going too fast in his modern, ABS equipped car….. never did hear anymore.
                    Yes you are all right about the amber light thing, but if i could prove that it was on amber and not red then i can not be convicted of driving through a red light which is what ive been summons for. I have been told that I have a 50/50 chance of winning the case without proof if i could afford a lawyer at about 2 grand!! .. ive also been told by a legal adviser that the best chance that ive got of winning the case is if the police officer doesnt turn up for the hearing, but knowing my luck the orificer will be there..
                    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Yes you are all right about the amber light thing, but if i could prove that it was on amber and not red then i can not be convicted of driving through a red light which is what ive been summons for. I have been told that I have a 50/50 chance of winning the case without proof if i could afford a lawyer at about 2 grand!! .. ive also been told by a legal adviser that the best chance that ive got of winning the case is if the police officer doesnt turn up for the hearing, but knowing my luck the orificer will be there..
                      Just take the points and the fine mate. Seems like a whole load of bother, but if youdo go for it good luck
                      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

look on the bright side, it's only 3 points if you go to court or not...

i guess they'll add costs onto the fine though!!

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
                          Just take the points and the fine mate. Seems like a whole load of bother, but if youdo go for it good luck
                          I know what you mean mate, and i think with my luck i will loose in court, but im gonna make sure i make it hard for em!!

Thanks for the luck m8!!

when i was in the army i was summons to court for none payment of pole tax, and when i got there i was told it was to be thrown out why i dont know!!!
                          CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

When is your date, would be nice if you update what happened after all this input from everyone!!

Good luck mate

Dean K
                            "Master you anger, before anger is your master!!"

Comment

Sorry fella sounds like up creek without paddle, amber you loose, red you loose green you win.

Hope the charge sheet is a technical let off and that your amber gambler defence pays off but I doubt it.

Good luck.

Cheers JB
                              www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

I know what you mean mate, and i think with my luck i will loose in court, but im gonna make sure i make it hard for em!!

Thanks for the luck m8!!

when i was in the army i was summons to court for none payment of pole tax, and when i got there i was told it was to be thrown out why i dont know!!!
                                same happend to my mate must be coss you did your servise to UK
                                make them know you been in the servise
                                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...
                                X