anybody know about traffic law??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody know about traffic law??

A couple of months ago i was pulled by the old bill, in the workington area. I was told that i whent through a red light, but i said that i didnt,and that it was on amber. I contested it, and now have a summons to attend court. There was two officers in the car but no camera at the lights. Although they said that at the time there is a cctv camera further down the road that they could use!! Iam very anoyed about it and dont want to give in, but what are my chances of winning this case. Anybody else been in a simular situation???
    CHEERS JOHN................

Agree to attend and ask them to produce their evidence to support their case. If it's just a case of your word against theirs, you at least were actually driving and approaching the lights whereas they were either stopped, following you, ahead of you or whatever.

One thing to look at is the actual speed you were doing and what vehicle you were driving. If you were in a Surf, they are a heavy vehicle and can take some stopping if you are close to lights when they change. To try and do so could actually cause an accident as if you braked too hard you might lose control, in which case it would be safer to continue even if the light was just about to change.
    Mike G

Comment

Post your question here, they will advise you of how to proceed: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Amber does mean stop though. Good luck with getting this kicked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
        One thing to look at is the actual speed you were doing and what vehicle you were driving. If you were in a Surf, they are a heavy vehicle and can take some stopping if you are close to lights when they change. To try and do so could actually cause an accident as if you braked too hard you might lose control, in which case it would be safer to continue even if the light was just about to change.
        Could leave you open to more aggro, they'll just argue if you can't stop in time you going to fast, especially if they are saying you went through it on red.

They need to prove you went through a red light IMHO.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

w ere you alone the person if any can testify on your behalf even if it is family now its going to court you can request any evidence they have pictures and statements if they do not show you they have no case how did they stop you and what was said wright it all down take photos of the lights as you approached them good luck

Comment

Sorry mate, in this case I would say that the Mag's will accept the word of 2 officers over you.

Any defense you give think very carefully about as it can be turned against you like TonyN said. It's only 3 points and £60 quid just accept it, unless you are near to losing your licence then you need serious legal advice!!

Sorry but their word made be stronger than yours, even if you truly belive that it was amber!!

Dean
            "Master you anger, before anger is your master!!"

Comment

Dean is right. If two policemen say you did it, then as far as the court will be concerned you did it, even if you didnt do it. If it was me, and if I was absolutely confident that I was right, Id be sorely tempted to turn up, unrepresented and simply tell it exactly as I saw it, and accept the inevitable more expensive consequences. I would not attempt any sort of defence, I would simply state forcefully but politely that that the light was amber as I passed through and that I beleived it was safer to continue rather than to stop as my final stopped position would have been "over the line"
              Firmly beleiving that I was right I would mention the CCTV that the officers had told me could be used. If you are right that CCTV footage will not appear or be available, however if you are wrong, trust me, it will there in glorious technicolour
              I get the idea of how galling it is to be so sure of your innocence and yet be forced to LIE and accept guilt just to make life easier, but unfortunately thats the system. Nobody has ever claimed it to be either perfect or infallible

Bogus
              Сви можемо

Comment

What makes me laugh is the fact that if you decide to defend yourself and loose, then they double the penalty. If that's not against democracy then I don't know what is!!!

Comment

I guess thats to discourage the serial offenders and the frivolous types from cluttering up court time. If someone seriously beleives that they are totally innocent I think its a risk worth taking,

Bogus
                  Сви можемо

Comment

let them take you to court, if you lose u will pay if u win u will be hunted down and bucked for every time u slip up
                    heads u lose
                    tails they win

this country sucks

i got a parking ticket from the local council last week while fixing one of their cctv cameras w@nkers
                    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Go all the way, chances are Plod may not even turn up at court on the day........................hap pens all the time with me at work, attend as a witness and case gets thrown out because of no Police representation.
                      Started with a beast now I have a beauty

Comment

Thanks for the reply,s guys..

I think ive gotto take it all the way now cause if i back out now i will still end up with a fine and three points, may as well take it all the way and take a chance that they dont turn up..

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
                          Dean is right. If two policemen say you did it, then as far as the court will be concerned you did it, even if you didnt do it. If it was me, and if I was absolutely confident that I was right, Id be sorely tempted to turn up, unrepresented and simply tell it exactly as I saw it, and accept the inevitable more expensive consequences. I would not attempt any sort of defence, I would simply state forcefully but politely that that the light was amber as I passed through and that I beleived it was safer to continue rather than to stop as my final stopped position would have been "over the line"
                          Firmly beleiving that I was right I would mention the CCTV that the officers had told me could be used. If you are right that CCTV footage will not appear or be available, however if you are wrong, trust me, it will there in glorious technicolour
                          I get the idea of how galling it is to be so sure of your innocence and yet be forced to LIE and accept guilt just to make life easier, but unfortunately thats the system. Nobody has ever claimed it to be either perfect or infallible

Bogus
                          I agree. Amber means stop unless it is not safe to do so. Take the points and the fine
                          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
                            I agree. Amber means stop unless it is not safe to do so. Take the points and the fine

I always thought amber meant get ready to stop, red means stop.

I would request a copy of the evidence (cctv)

can't remember, did you say there were two cops, or just one.

I got stopped for speeding a couple of years ago, bang to rights, one cop with video evidence from car cam, I requested a copy of the evidence several times, it wnet to court and got thrown out coz they lost the evidence!
                            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                              I always thought amber meant get ready to stop, red means stop.

I would request a copy of the evidence (cctv)

can't remember, did you say there were two cops, or just one.

I got stopped for speeding a couple of years ago, bang to rights, one cop with video evidence from car cam, I requested a copy of the evidence several times, it wnet to court and got thrown out coz they lost the evidence!
                              There were two cops, but the second one as not made a statment. i intend on asking for any evidence that they have as i beleave this is my right..

i have spoken to a motoring lawyer whom as said that because i contested it and that i told the police officer that i didnt think i had gone through a red light, then the out come will be little diffrent what ever i do now, apart from if i plead not guilty and are found to be guilty then the fine will be a little higher.

Comment

Working...
                              X