Nice pear wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice pear wanted

Is there anyone here who knows anything about pears? Got a pear tree in the garden and there's a lot of fruit on it and they look pretty ripe. Does anyone know how to tell when they're ready? Also does anyone have some good perry recipes?
    Hold my beer and watch this

Originally posted by captain_chaos
    Is there anyone here who knows anything about pears? Got a pear tree in the garden and there's a lot of fruit on it and they look pretty ripe. Does anyone know how to tell when they're ready? Also does anyone have some good perry recipes?
    If they're soft, they're ready for eating.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      If they're soft, they're ready for eating.
      they don't seem to go soft, that's the problem. Been on the tree for ages now

Comment

eat one.

try the ones off the floor...

we've got apples, pears, greengages, plums... always just eaten them and if they're not ready, pick another!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
          eat one.

try the ones off the floor...

we've got apples, pears, greengages, plums... always just eaten them and if they're not ready, pick another!
          Had a great crop of apples back in August, will try some pears tomorrow. Got grapes growing too, but don't think they'll ripen fully to do anything with.

Comment

Had a great crop of apples back in August, will try some pears tomorrow. Got grapes growing too, but don't think they'll ripen fully to do anything with.
            We've got a cherry tree in the front garden with no cherries on, f**kin' birds!

Comment

Colour and firmness can be deceptive, just take a bite, if it's sweet, then it's ripe ( generally speaking, as gooseberries arn't often sweet)
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

well I'll take a sample tomorrow. Next question, anyone got some perry recipes?

Comment

yeah, walk to londis, buy lambrini.

(lambrini girls have more fun!!)
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

If they're green with rough brown patches they're probably conference pears, they stay firm even when they're ripe. Pears cooked in red wine, sugar and other stuff is a very good pud.

Comment

Burn 'em. Pears are mingin!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

my mate used to do home made wines real skull splitting stuff his pear one was excellent but i remember him saying it was a pain to make, would ask him but he is 6ft under now.

but if you pull it off it is lovely stuff doesnt have to be clear either the cloudy tastes better in my opinion
                        www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

Take a pear and lift it gently twisting slightly if it comes away it is ripe if not leave it a few more days
                          Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                            Burn 'em. Pears are mingin!

I second that !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I'll second that. Lift them from the bottom to 90 degrees. If they are ripe the stalk will snap. Conference pears will ripen by keeping them. Keep them in a box seperated by dry straw, layers of newspaper or something else dry. They should keep until next spring if they are not too warm or don't get too frosted.
                              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X