• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toyota rav 4 question - for 4wd gurus

yes i know , but its a toyota .

thinking of disconnecting the wifes prop shaft making it 2wd . will it work

lol disconnect both, that would be funny hehe

how is the set up? is it the same as our surfs where engine is RWD setup, and the transfer box is in the middle, or is it like a mitsubishi GTO or new nissan 4x4's where the engine is FWD setup and i think the transfer box is inside the gearbox up the front.
    so this way taking out the prop would just make it FWD
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

its a forward facing engine like a celica, not transverse .I know the usa got a 2wd version . just trying to make it more economical .

Comment

im confusing myself. last celica i looked at, the engine was 90 degrees to the direction of travel (normal driving)

our surfs have forward facing engines ?

anyways, if no one knows, then how about getting a trolley jack under the rear diff, jacking up a bit then getting in and trying to pull away slowly with the handbrake off.

if you move then this would mean that the diff in between the front/rear wheels will put the power to the front wheels when there is no drive at the rear.

my guess though is that the rear wheels will just turn and you wont go anywhere
        be carefull though, its the sort of thing i would do, but everyone would tell me not to, but i would do it anyway.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
          im confusing myself. last celica i looked at, the engine was 90 degrees to the direction of travel (normal driving)

our surfs have forward facing engines ?

anyways, if no one knows, then how about getting a trolley jack under the rear diff, jacking up a bit then getting in and trying to pull away slowly with the handbrake off.

if you move then this would mean that the diff in between the front/rear wheels will put the power to the front wheels when there is no drive at the rear.

my guess though is that the rear wheels will just turn and you wont go anywhere
          be carefull though, its the sort of thing i would do, but everyone would tell me not to, but i would do it anyway.

the newer ravs are conventional 4wd,the older ones are basiccally conventional 2wd until the back wheels spin,and like the blurghhhlander

there is a viscous coupling which has a jelly which shears.this then locks the coupling until the rear wheels stop spinning,carp idea so yeah disconnect away
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
          X