Just a thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought

This is just an intellectual exercise. While looking on ebay for piping for the intercooler mod on my surf I came across Liquid cooled intercoolers used for drag racing where they run iced water over the elements to get it really cold.

I've already got an intercooler from a merc vito its pretty big.

My question is, would it be possible to re-route the AC in some way in place of the water so that the intercooling could be controled by the AC switch? I'm thinking this could be one of those cases where the load of running the AC would negate the effect.

What do you think?

As an exercise, it might be fun, but at the end of the day dragsters are very different to Surfs.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Not necessarily for the surf. I've come to enjoy the laid back/lazy lump that is my surf(bit like me). Plenty fast enough for me once the intercoolers fitted. I was thinking more of engine temp. as well as power.

Comment

Doubt reducing the inlet air temp will do anything to reduce engine temp by more than fractions of a degree to be honest. It's small potatoes compared to the heat generated by 50 0r 60 explosions a second!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

depends how cold you could get that intercooler whether its will break even of give you a benefit.
          i think when off road it would be useful because your not moving very quickly, and a quick 10 minute freeze of the A/C might give you quite a bit of difference compared to when your stationary or doing 5mph and the intercooler has gotten hot to touch.
          i really notice the turbo lag when this happens, and its really quite bad.

i like your idea.
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
            depends how cold you could get that intercooler whether its will break even of give you a benefit.
            i think when off road it would be useful because your not moving very quickly, and a quick 10 minute freeze of the A/C might give you quite a bit of difference compared to when your stationary or doing 5mph and the intercooler has gotten hot to touch.
            i really notice the turbo lag when this happens, and its really quite bad.

i like your idea.

You need to fit an extra windscreen squirter just in front of the scoop to cool the 'cooler down.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              You need to fit an extra windscreen squirter just in front of the scoop to cool the 'cooler down.
              ah you read my post then i will do this one day. it does help you know!
              but i dunno how much it would be noticeable in my surf.
              i mean if it gives only 2% increase in power, on a 300hp scooby thats like 6hp. on a 80hp surf its like just over 1hp (i made those figures up)
              its the torque improvement that you feel anyway, not the hp :/

i think my truck would benefit the most if i put decent pipework on
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
              X