Personal Import...........part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Import...........part 3

Well, I've recently contacted the shipping company and now the surf isn't going to Southampton...........well sort of.

The ship apparently hasn't got many vehicles on it,and so its not worth docking at Southampton, so its docking at Bristol and the surf will be transported to Southampton. Well I've spoke to an agency at Bristol and they reckon they could clear it for me at Bristol for £50 and then transport it to me for £120 to Essex.

They reckon they would have to clear some sort of documentation (TI or T10...or something or other )to allow it to go to Southampton customs from Bristol, which would take up to a week, and they reckon they can get it quicker to me by clearing it at Bristol than sending it to Southampton. So looks like I'll take that option. Got someone to do the SVA work/ Mot and SVA test in Essex and also registering it for me.

Its getting closer , I'll have it soon

Fieldsy

bristol

m8 aint it better and cheaper to go to bristl and pick it up like i said im there if ya want taking m8 be quicker and cheaper
    black n tan
    black n tan
    yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

You won't get it out of any docks, until it has cleared customs, and you have paid the shipping costs to the shipping agent, and the 10% import tax + 17.5% VAT to the customs. Don't forget that they add together the cost of the vehicle, the cost of the shipping, and then add 10%, then they charge VAT on the total amount i.e. Cost+shipping+import tax+VAT.

e.g

Vehicle £5000
      Shipping £ 800
      Import Tax £ 580
      VAT £1116.50

Total £7496.50

Then you can take it away [on a trailer, or on trade plates] and do the work for the SVA. Then the MOT, the registration, the Road Tax, the insurance, the Thatchan alarm which the insurance company will insist on etc etc.

Don't want to be a wet blanket, but sh*t happens.

John
      http://members.dodo.com.au/burston/drinkofbeer.gifA pint of lunatic soup please!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer

Then you can take it away [on a trailer, or on trade plates]
        or write the chassis number on the back window and drive home with that as id.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Hang on a sec

I live in Bristol and collected mine from Southampton!!

I don't know what they are talking about re a T10? All that I did was stroll into the shipping agents office at the docks, hand over the paperwork to the nice lady behind the counter and she gave me a sheet of paper to give to the guy in the portcabin at the collection yard.

He wandered off and drove my Surf to my feet, gave me the key and I drove 100 miles back to Bristol. The chassis number is written on the screen and is a perfectly legal identification mark. I was followed by 3 police cars at different intervals and none stopped me.

You would save yourself a bundle by collecting it.

The only thing that you need to do when you get home is fit a rear fog light and illuminated switch (and only comes on when the sidelights/headlights are on) , make sure that any fog lights are independently of the headlights.

Take it for an MOT (they write the chassis number in place of the reg number).
          Take ALL of the paperwork to your local DVLA office.
          They keep it 3 days to check on stolen vehicles etc.
          Then you get the form that allows you to have plates made.
          Bingo! All done and legal!

Cheers

Rob G
          Last edited by wibblywobbly; 22 February 2004, 21:24.

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
            I live in Bristol and collected mine from Southampton!!

I don't know what they are talking about re a T10? All that I did was stroll into the shipping agents office at the docks, hand over the paperwork to the nice lady behind the counter and she gave me a sheet of paper to give to the guy in the portcabin at the collection yard.

He wandered off and drove my Surf to my feet, gave me the key and I drove 100 miles back to Bristol.

You would save yourself a bundle by collecting it.

The only thing that you need to do when you get home is fit a rear fog light and illuminated switch (and only comes on when the sidelights/headlights are on) , make sure that any fog lights are independently of the headlights.

Take it for an MOT (they write the chassis number in place of the reg number).
            Take ALL of the paperwork to your local DVLA office.
            They keep it 3 days to check on stolen vehicles etc.
            Then you get the form that allows you to have plates made.
            Bingo! All done and legal!

Cheers

Rob G
            will need an SVA too on a motor that age... unless registered as motor caravan.

Comment

You can't legally drive it on the UK roads without a valid MOT, and Road Tax,unless you are going to a test centre for a pre-arranged test. Unless you have trade plates or a traders all vehicle policy, you will not be insured either. Your own insurance will cover you 3rd party to drive another vehicle not owned or hired by you, and with the owners permission. If the vehicle itself is not insured i.e by the owner, then your insurance will not cover you.
              I've been there.
              John
              http://members.dodo.com.au/burston/drinkofbeer.gifA pint of lunatic soup please!

Comment

Ahem! Thats not true!!

Yes you need insurance and you can get this using the Chassis Number. Lifesure do it, no problems at all.
                You can then drive it home from the docks without an MOT, plates or road tax quite legally.
                In theory you should drive it straight to an MOT station, but if you need an SVA then you will probably drive it home first.

The slightly dodgy bit is that you are only allowed one trip from the docks. In reality, you will drive it home, fix it to SVA standards, then drive it to the local vehicle test centre for the test.

If the vehicle is over 10 years old of course, you simply drive it home, bung a fog light on, check it over, and drive round for an MOT (carefully, cos this trip is slightly illegal).

If you doubt anything that I have said then ring the Shipping Agents, they are incredibly helpful, and if you are using BSL then I think Lucy is your girl. She was a diamond when I brought mine in.

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and advice and thanks once again Sly for your offer, much appreciated m8.

I know the costings, import tax + vat etc...., already roughly worked these out. A friend, who does import vehicles and has done for the last 20 years is going to SVA it for me. He's looked at the pics I got, and reckons, there's not much to be done, no wrap around bull bars, roof racks, etc...., just fog light, milometer conversion, and he's going to plug that little bumper guide, which looks like an antenna.

I had a price from the bristol sva centre, which was £525 +vat, which he tells me is way over the top, and would only expect to pay that on a vehicle which needs a major conversion. Like I said, he's going to mot, sva, register it and plate it for me all under the one. He also says £120 to transfer it from Bristol to he's workshop is a good price.

I'm gonna go with that.

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
                    If you doubt anything that I have said then ring the Shipping Agents, they are incredibly helpful, and if you are using BSL then I think Lucy is your girl. She was a diamond when I brought mine in.

Cheers

Rob G
                    was she in the sky too?

Comment

Ha!

I knew that this would flush out those of a 'certain age'?

You makes oi larf

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Working...
                      X