gps system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gps system

what sat navs can i use with memory map?

Originally posted by sledge
    what sat navs can i use with memory map?
    PDA based sat navs are no problem,

I believe the latest version of MM can run on smartphones too.

I use in in my T-Mobile Vario II that has a bluetooth receiver.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

what sad navs have pda systems(tom tom, navman, garmin)?

Comment

what sad navs have pda systems(tom tom, navman, garmin)?
        Try reversing that question - what PDAs have sat nav
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

ok, gettin a little confused now lol, i'm looking for a sat nav that i can have in the car and load or run memory maps on(as i have all of uk already!). i'm looking for a fairly cheap one. sorry for the confusion!

Comment

I have an HP iPAQ that runs Tom Tom and MM, but for the real heavy routes, I have laptop that gets mounted under the passenger seat and an 8" touchscreen on the dash.......
            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Straight answer. Definitely Garmin - dunno about the others. Look for one with NMEA output to drive a laptop. If you want an 'all in one' a PDA of some description, but for normal road use they aren't a patch on a dedicated GPS.
              Last edited by Apache; 5 September 2007, 23:07.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                Straight answer. Definitely Garmin - dunno about the others. Look for one with NMEA output to drive a laptop. If you want an 'all in one' a PDA of some description, but for normal road use they aren't a patch on a dedicated GPS.

And one that knows where it is, where you are and where you want to go, and most importantly - how to get there!!!!!
                Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                  And one that knows where it is, where you are and where you want to go, and most importantly - how to get there!!!!!
                  They can all be fooled by new road layouts though!
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

are these any good???????

http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/road...gator-7000.htm

Comment

ok, gettin a little confused now lol, i'm looking for a sat nav that i can have in the car and load or run memory maps on(as i have all of uk already!). i'm looking for a fairly cheap one. sorry for the confusion!
                      Have gone for the laptop / garmin gps combo.
                      I already had the laptop and a basic garmin can interface with it. It works with Memory Map, Fugawi Maps & Autoroute, poss more but those I know work.
                      My other cars a QUAD
                      (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                      http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

I bought myself a NAVMAN PiN POCKET PC (ebay £90). comes with internal GPS receiver and it's loaded up with tomtom (ebay £5) and memory map (ebay £7).
                        Also has socket for external GPS receiver (ebay £10) mounted on roof of car which allows better reception and doesn't drain battery as much as internal. works on windows mobile OS.
                        I use mine with tomtom with ex GPS for driving and switch to int GPS and memory map for when out walking.
                        great bit of kit quite cheap as well.
                        battery last around 4 hours when using GPS out walking - but normally hooked up to car charger when driving.
                        It's completely mobile so just slips in top shirt pocket when out walking or when in wifes car.
                        also connects with desktop via USB to sync emails - pictures as well as uploading Memory Map walked routes etc etc.
                        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Basically go for a PDA plus software based solution rather than a complete SatNav like tomtom go or Garmin Nuvi.

Good solution would be to get a second hand Ipaq, something running at least Pocket PC Windows 2003 or go for a phone PDA like an XDA2 running Windows Mobile 2003. You can pick up XDA2s now for a reasonable price on eBay, will have the phone built in (if you are not on O2 you will need to get an unlocked one or get an unlock code from O2 for the phone.

If you go for an XDA or a PDA with bluetooth, you can use a bluetooth GPS reciever like the Tomtom one or a Holux one, both you can pick up on eBay. both will work with Memory Map - any NMEA compliant GPS receiver should do it.

Alternatively you could run Memory Map on your laptop in the car and get a Dash mounted external VGA screen which will give you a bigger display size. You can get touch screen ones for around £120 on ebay. Again all you need then is the GPS reciever - serial connect one connected on the Laptop or a bluetooth one if the laptop supports bluetooth.

Comment

I use:

HP ipaq 2210
                            Arkon Cradle with builtin GPS/Speaker (until it blew due to constant in and out of the cig socket)

MM and TomTom cannot co-exist running together as they try to contend for the GPS control. you will only be able to run one at a time

look ere

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/index.php
                            http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/
                            Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                              I use:

HP ipaq 2210
                              Arkon Cradle with builtin GPS/Speaker (until it blew due to constant in and out of the cig socket)

MM and TomTom cannot co-exist running together as they try to contend for the GPS control. you will only be able to run one at a time

look ere

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/index.php
                              http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/
                              GAZ can i run MM through my IPAQ with TOM TOM bluetooth receiver
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X