Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head repair

Hi peeps.
    I have been told of a site which says they sell a product that will cure gasket/ cracked head problems over a period of a day. Apparently some guys have used this stuff and the petrol and diesel engines have gone on for tens of thousands of miles without any further probs. has anybody used such stuff in their surfs and what was the results.

Sounds like snake oil.
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by yungjamie
      Hi peeps.
      I have been told of a site which says they sell a product that will cure gasket/ cracked head problems over a period of a day. Apparently some guys have used this stuff and the petrol and diesel engines have gone on for tens of thousands of miles without any further probs. has anybody used such stuff in their surfs and what was the results.
      the 'problem' with the heads is in the design, if the product can fix that then nobody should be able to afford it!
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

if it's anything like "radweld" it'll prob clog up the smaller water ways and create more overheating
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Its called steel seal, and it makes some very tall claims! £29.99 a bottles
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by Veggie Surfer
            Its called steel seal, and it makes some very tall claims! £29.99 a bottles

Sounds like the stuff the Jap tw*t put in my engine to cover the fact the head had cracked........ until it failed at the beggining of March. I'm affraid there is no quick or cheap fix for a cracked head. A new one is the only option.

Comment

yeah, just found out it is called steel seal at £30 a bottle made in the states. They say it's guaranteed to work or money back???? They say that lots of surfs have been done, very tall claims.

Comment

If ma head went i'd still prob try it first. Desperation would set in i think.
                Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by yungjamie
                  yeah, just found out it is called steel seal at £30 a bottle made in the states. They say it's guaranteed to work or money back???? They say that lots of surfs have been done, very tall claims.
                  £30 back if it doesn't work and an £800 plus bill for new head - can you claim that back too - if not, then I'd ignore the bottle of steel steal and sort the head out properly....
                  Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

As you know, the surfs are tumbling in price, we've been swamped with them.
                    Had a price for head incl labour. £1400 plus vat. so we're getting to the position nearly of what she is worth. I'm gonna have a go at this steel seal to see if it works as I've got nothing to loose except £30 if it does'nt. Gotta pay for a new head anyway if I keep her. Would'nt sell her on without telling buyer that she has had this treatment (presuming it works) so will keep all informed how it goes. If it lasts a year or so will be well chuffed

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                      if it's anything like "radweld" it'll prob clog up the smaller water ways and create more overheating
                      Holts used to do a substance called "piston seal" the claim was that it would fill in the gaps left by worn rings/bores. Did it work? No it just used to gum up the rings more!

the best solution for a cracked head is a new one (from stevo)
                      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                        Sounds like the stuff the Jap tw*t put in my engine to cover the fact the head had cracked........ until it failed at the beggining of March. I'm affraid there is no quick or cheap fix for a cracked head. A new one is the only option.
                        Yes - my old 2.4 had that in the sytem from Japan as well, I think it's common dodge to cover the head problems. Then when you give the cooling system a flush it flushes the sealer out and as well . But as already stated with the value of 2nd Gen Surfs falling as it is it's going to get the point where they're not worth repairing.

Comment

thats exactly my point paulc, by the look of things it will cost me the best part of £2k to put right so I have to ask myself am I throwing good money away on a K plate car when the most I can expect back if I sell her is about the same. If this steel seal works for me for 12 months then I'll be happy and at the end sell her for spares telling folks what stuff she has had in the engine. I know they are great trucks, I've had mine for 3 years but getting a bit old in the tooth so I can expect all different things to go wrong. I will be getting a later model surf 98-99 in a years time

Comment

That sounds like a sensible plan to me. Why not look at a 2nd Gen 3.0 L model - they don't seem to have the head problem and are now very reasonably priced.
                            Last edited by paulc; 5 September 2007, 14:32.

Comment

2K is a bit steep, if you dont do the work surely a grand should cover it. £699 for a full head kit with gaskets and cam tappets valves all set up and ready to drop on, if you get one off the guys on the forum.
                              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
                              X