Lost my head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my head...

...you tried to tell me, but I ignored you...

The Surf is here in Switzerland with us and I've finally proved that I've cracked the head. It was running fine on a day to day basis but the last couple of days, when you run the engine for over 20 minutes all hell unleashes into the header tank.

Dunno what to do now, I'm depressed. I paid £2,000 for it last year, another £1,000 on it and now I'm stuck here, no body would want it for parts and a new head is going to be a few quid...
    Surfin' Swiss Style...

Pay for it, fix it, you just must! Once its done thats you, never again. Make sure of the modified head, not just standard replacement.

Have you got green card recovery (pick you up abroad?)
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

OK, looks like we're going to do the head to get her home and sell her on. I need 3.0L Manual out here, the poor old 2.4 auto has suffered.

We're going to try and do this as cheap as possible. Yes, I know it may not be worth it, but thats all I can £££.

Tips? Help? Advice? Cheap head anyone?
      Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

The cheapest heads i have seen are on ebay so take a look on there.i think a couple of guys have fitted these heads already without any probs
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

me too 3.0 l head gone

My head has gone too, I am in the process of getting one from Stevo. I had to sit down and do the sums but it is the best option imho. I looked at the heads on Ebay but I decided go with Stevo.

I think the overheating was caused by failure of the vicious fan assembly, I never got around to fixing that and well....one new head later....

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Mine went too, had it changed, cost about £1400 but tat included the mechanic fitting 4 new shocks and a steering damper (supplied by me) so I guess agout £1300 includung head from Stevo, been a pleasure to drive since then.

Edit;

Why a manual, I would have thought an auto would be far better in the mountains.

I went green laning in Wales last weekend, and found the manual gearbox a real hassle going up the winding hilly lanes, and then trying to get up rocky stream beds required serious concentration and clutch control, and in fact I was the only one out of four with a manual gearbox, and the only one who needed to use low range to save burning my clutch out.

I will probably change to an auto when I can afford my next surf.
            Last edited by plumb bob; 1 September 2007, 18:31.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I came back from Arygll earlier in the year and had a torrid time with the Auto box overheating going up and down wee hilly roads, I think that's where a manual would be better,
              There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

I want the manual as the auto shares the radiator to help cool the ATF?

Actually, it doesn't matter whether I want the auto or the manual, I've found a load of pre-loved 4Runners, both 2.4L & 3L for sale here in Switzerland and they're all manuals.

I was getting seriously $$$$ed off climbing up the village road home from 820m to 1500m over 7km (or something like that), getting passed by 4Runners and 2d Hilux pickups. But not for much longer, I should have my new 4Runner in the next 2 weeks or so!!!!!

Now for the grovel:

I need to get the old Surf home, so my dad is coming out to help me replace the head. As you can see I don't know much about engines. So here's what I need help with.

Do I buy a bare or complete head?

What else will I need? New head bolts? New head gasket?

What other work should be done while the heads off? Obviously I'll give the car a basic service plus cooling system, anything else?

I have only very basic tools here at the moment, what are we going to need?

Thanks guys.
                Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

If you get the head from Stevo then you will get everything you need ,bolts gaskets etc.If it was me i would pay the extra for all the valves and everything just for peace of mind

Originally posted by Ski_Extra

Actually, it doesn't matter whether I want the auto or the manual, I've found a load of pre-loved 4Runners, both 2.4L & 3L for sale here in Switzerland and they're all manuals.

I was getting seriously $$$$ed off climbing up the village road home from 820m to 1500m over 7km (or something like that), getting passed by 4Runners and 2d Hilux pickups. But not for much longer, I should have my new 4Runner in the next 2 weeks or so!!!!!

Now for the grovel:

I need to get the old Surf home, so my dad is coming out to help me replace the head. As you can see I don't know much about engines. So here's what I need help with.

What other work should be done while the heads off? Obviously I'll give the car a basic service plus cooling system, anything else?

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ski_Extra

Now for the grovel:

Thanks guys.
                    If you ask Stevo, he'll tell you what tools you'll need, maybe ask him to fax\email you a list,( you'll need pully pullers, touque wrench, deep sockets,etc) as said get the full complete head, as it will be already set up just to drop on, with all new gaskits and stretch bolts ( will save you hours of work).

You may wish to get a cam belt kit while you're at it, as well as replacement fluids
                    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I know money may be tight but it may well be best to change the water pump at the same time.It's less than £40 plus p&p & vat as if it needs doing at a later date you will have to strip alot of stuff out to replace it so may be better to do it first as last

Comment

I hear you on the cam belt and the water pump. These are exactly the things I'm talking about.

I'm moving to Switzerland permanently so I need a left hooker on Swiss plates, I would have waited until March but I might as well do it now.

The way I see it I won't get any money back for adding the more expensive head when I sell the Surf in a months time, so can't see the point in doing Steveo's head...
                        Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

Got mine from fleabay, complete head including valves all ready to bolt on, new streatch bolts, gasket and "free" water pump all for less than £500 and that included delivery and collection of old head.

Change the belt an flush out the radiator while you are down there but FFS torque the bolts AND re-torque as Toyota do or you will be in the steamy again soon after.

Not a perticulary difficult job just take some piccie's before starting including that fekin stoopid wee sooky hose arrangment only a gormless student could design. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
                            Got mine from fleabay, complete head including valves all ready to bolt on, new streatch bolts, gasket and "free" water pump all for less than £500 and that included delivery and collection of old head.

Change the belt an flush out the radiator while you are down there but FFS torque the bolts AND re-torque as Toyota do or you will be in the steamy again soon after.

Not a perticulary difficult job just take some piccie's before starting including that fekin stoopid wee sooky hose arrangment only a gormless student could design. Have fun!
                            Thanks! That's what I'm hoping for / planning...
                            Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

I'm normally wrong on these things but it feels like my crack doesn't open up until a certain temperature is reached?

Looking to start work on the head today, obviously, I need to drain the oil first. Do I turn the truck over for a bit to warm it all up as normal?
                              Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

Working...
                              X