No announcement yet.

A strange metallic rattling sound.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A strange metallic rattling sound.....

...is what I hear when I take my foot off the accelerator - and it's coming from underneath somewhere - so what have I broken this time????
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Possibly a loose baffle in the centre box of the exhaust. I had lots of that sort of thing with various cars over the years, and Vicki's Polo has developed a rather sporty sounding one!
    Last edited by Apache; 22 August 2007, 21:32.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Sounds like one of the heatshields has come loose, or an exhaust bracket rattle, nothing terminal.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
        ...is what I hear when I take my foot off the accelerator - and it's coming from underneath somewhere - so what have I broken this time????
        it may be one of the heat sheilds on the downpipe from the turbo or the turbo heat sheilds or the removable plate in the wheel arch.I had a rattle and found the heat sheild on the downpipe near the turbo was loose
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Blimey you lot are fast - have you all been on speed typing courses????

Cheers - I'll have a look underneath on Friday and the engine bay and see what's making the most noise, and belt it with a hammer......

Comment

Blimey you lot are fast - have you all been on speed typing courses????

Cheers - I'll have a look underneath on Friday and the engine bay and see what's making the most noise, and belt it with a hammer......
            there is a bolt on the downpipe heat sheild that bolts onto the gearbox i think it was about 19mm so check that one also.You will need to get underneath and follow the downpipe up and you will see the heatsheild

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
              there is a bolt on the downpipe heat sheild that bolts onto the gearbox i think it was about 19mm so check that one also.You will need to get underneath and follow the downpipe up and you will see the heatsheild

Nice one - cheers Richard - I'll have to sort out pints on the RTTS!

Comment

Nice one - cheers Richard - I'll have to sort out pints on the RTTS!
                that wont be many then as i aint drunk for 2 years apart from a couple of cans last year rtts

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
                  that wont be many then as i aint drunk for 2 years apart from a couple of cans last year rtts
                  It will be an interesting anniversary for you then

Comment

It will be an interesting anniversary for you then
                    it'll be a laugh if nothing else..

Comment

Is yours a rear mounted or underslung spare tyre? i have the underslung variety and i get an annoying tinkling/rattling from the safety chain on it all the time, of course i only notice it when the window is down so i drive with the window up
                      Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X