X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it with cylinder heads?

Not the Surf but this week a friend at work (Peugot) Cylinder head gone
    A friend (VWGolf) Cylinder head gone. Wife comes home from work last night
    in the Van (Citroen) bl**dy cylinder head gone. I ride constantly in the surf with the cylinder head thing in the back of my mind.
    It seems to be a much more common fault nowadays than before.
    Trust your Hound.

Could it be that these days with modern cars lack of user serviceable parts, no-one bothers looking under the bonnet? Therefore maintenance checks aren't done, coolant levels aren't checked - or coolant changed...

My sister has a VW Beetle (new type). The oil filler is really inaccessible, as a result she was driving round with "this orange lamp" on (as she said). When I checked, the oil was just about touching the bottom of the dipstick! I filled it for her.

She was going to take it to the VW Stealer to "have it serviced".
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

All makes of diesel have had heads cracking for years on lorries and vans and cars . Just more diesel cars owned by Joe Public means more people are having it happen to them and not just White Van man etc
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
        All makes of diesel have had heads cracking for years on lorries and vans and cars . Just more diesel cars owned by Joe Public means more people are having it happen to them and not just White Van man etc
        Agreed - diesel heads made with the same casting process as petrol. Petrol compression ratio about 10:1, diesel 20:1 and more. Guess what's gonna happen?

BTW - the OEM's think their engines are good if they last 3000 to 4000 hours of running. At a lifetime average speed of 30mph (think about it) that only gives you about 90,000 to 120,000 miles.
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
        X