yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help to settle an argument - petrol or diesel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to settle an argument - petrol or diesel??

Hi

This is my first post so bear with me.

My husband and I are looking to buy our first Surf, primarily so that we have something big enough to transport our 2 labradors and for him to take scuba diving.

I have found a very nice 1994, petrol 3L, V6 SSR-X manual that I test drove tonight. He didn't think I would be able to handle it and has been trying to put me off it. Anyway - the test drive went very well and it handled great. I actually found it wasn't that much different from driving my much smaller corolla wagon. The only difference really was that I was much higher up.

The issue we are having is that he secretly wants to get a 1994 3L diesel, automatic that he's seen on another car yard. Its about $4000 cheaper than the other one. He seems to think diesel would be more economical, but in NZ we have to pay road tax on top of filling up with diesel at the station, and with our current fuel prices, diesel is only marginally cheaper than petrol. I'm hoping to test drive it tomorrow to see how it compares to the petrol one.

I have issues with the diesel in that its an automatic (which I personally loathe) and that fact that it will be more costly to maintain over the long term.

Am I right in thinking this or are there other things (apart from the price) that I should take into consideration with regard to the diesel Surf? I'm looking for both positive and negative thoughts to both vehicles.

Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just a couple of things,

Diesels do more miles to the gallon
    Regular servicing is a must on a diesel
    They will last twice as long due to diesel being a lubricant in its own right.
    Generally there is less to go wrong with the engine
    Automatics are better off road, no loss of drive/traction when changing gears (although this can be argued against).

You should be able to handle the truck fine, my wife is 5 ft and drives mine easily.

With petrol you tend to get more power (bhp) but less torque.

Andy

Comment

HELLO MAGGIE
      Most of us have diesel surfs over here in the UK Diesel is cheaper than petrol, the diesel engine is easier and cheaper to maintain you also get more life out of the diesel engine. The auto box is ok in comparison with the manual box as the power this truck provides is more than sufficient. its all down to your own preference whatever you end up with you will love it. also its off road performance is very good.
      i hope you find the one you want.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Leatrix
        Hi
        My husband and I are looking to buy our first Surf, primarily so that we have something big enough to transport our 2 labradors and for him to take scuba diving.

I'd beware taking it scuba diving, they don't swim under water that well, he might have a few probs bringing it home after

Having said that, I know a BBC TV program tried to kill a Hilux (including leaving it submerged in a river) and had great difficulty, they always managed to get it restarted though.

Mines a 2.7L automatic petrol, the best motor I ever had.

Bryan

Comment

If cost was no option, petrol is nicer. I'd question the longlivity comparisions, go to any US Toy website, all are petrol motors, and people get pi$$ed if their motors don't reach 200,000 before rebuilding. Deisels work thier bores and big ends harder than petrol motors, due to the compression.

Diesels will work under water better than a petrol, if your dunking the front end to headlight height regually, shallower water isn't a problem in either, although you can play splash without annoying the electrics easier in a oil burner.

Autos are easier, less effort to drive, manuals are more 'drivable' the only difference offroad is a manual will be more controllable down slippery hills, as its hard to guess the engine braking/wheels slipping effect with an Auto.

3.0lt motor works well with the Autobox, still feels lively with the extra power, I think the 2.4 is more fun with a manual.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi Maggie, I'm afraid its a matter between you and your old man. Both petrol and derv have their good and better points.Which ever one you choose you will not regret it.
            If all else fails remove your hubbies bedroom rights untill you get the one you want

sumo.
            If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Yo People,
              Personally, I prefer diesels for their longevity, lack of electrics to worry about, stronger and slightly more economical.
              Downside is more servicing required, (oil-change, filters etc).
              Auto's are simply cool , and less work!.

However, you can't beat the rumble of a big petrol V8

Derek

Comment

vroooom vrooooom vrooooom or chuga chuga chuga ? deisel does have its advantages but theres nothin like the sound of a V

Comment

I've got a 'runner V6 manual and I prefer it to a diesel but I would consider an auto box (basically because I'm getting idle in my old age )
                  Test drive a few then make your decision but don't rush to buy unless you're sure it's the one you want.
                  Good luck
                  NO WORRIES!
                  Rusty

Comment

Working...
                  X