Would you chuffin believe it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you chuffin believe it?

My mate came round yesterday with a replacement axle for his 2.4 (my old one). The diff was shot in the original so decided to whip the whole lot off and replace it as opposed to messing about with the oily bits inside the bust one. Anyway, Jacked truck up, axle stands under chasis and began unbolting everything. After 2 hrs the old axle was off and new one about to go on. A further 2 hrs passed by and we were almost done. A final check to ensure all nuts and bolts were tight, bled the brakes and refitted the wheels. Job done all that remains is to check the diff oil levels and off for a test drive. The thing i found curious was that there was no oil in the diff, so thought nothing of it and filled with new oil and off we went. A couple of times round the block and back home to check for any problems or faulty bits. Nothing to worry about there. So he sets off up the motorway on his merry way and i gets a call from a somewhat annoyed mate who told me he smelt a burning from under the truck and something had gone bang soon after. So off i went waterproofs onboard (p1ssing down) and found him on the hard shoulder of the m6/ m42 junction sat in his Surf in a puddle of diff oil. The seal on the front of the diff was shot and when the oil started to warm, it was p1ssing out of the seal. But instead of stopping when he smelt the burning and having a look he carried on until the inevitable bang. What would have been a seal change/renewal now means a new diff. So he's ordered an exchange axle so i can do it all over again next weekend. Why couldn't it have shown signs of leaking when i went out for a test run instead of him?

Well at least next week i should be able to do it in 3 hrs. What a bummer!!
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

I'll bring mine over, you could do a two for one
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
      I'll bring mine over, you could do a two for one

three for one and a half????????
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

Working...
      X