This is taking the p*** now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is taking the p*** now!

As some of you know we have been down Cornwall. Anyway the truck ran like a dream apart from a tank and a half of derv and veg to get there
    On the way back i took it over 80mph and with in 2 miles the temp went up and when we hit a steep hill on the m5 and it changed down a gear it went up even more. Soon as i let off the gas back down to 79mph the temp went back to normal. What the chuff is going on????
    Could it be the propeller on the water pump spinning at high revs??? ive got to sort this out guys its doin my head in. Ive even had Protons going by me
    Any ideas please........Help!!

Phil did you find out what the noiserattle was you had when we stopped before doing the lanes where you got the vid cam out where we walked thru that tunnel
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hmmm - sounds very similar to the symptoms we get !

With us it usually occurs in the period between trolling about on the Plain and giving the rad an intensive clean - strangely enough after about 20-30 minutes cleaning of the rad the problem disappears completely.

I always clean out the rad the moment we get back from playing BUT it's become obvious that a cursory clean isn't good enough. So I made a small lance out of a couple of foot of 15mm copper pipe with a 90 degree bend at the end, flattened the short end of the pipe to produce a jet and wedged it into the end of a hose pipe. I take the shroud off the inside of the rad and carefully work the pipe over every inch of the rad only moving on when the water coming through the other side of the rad is totally clear - when I've completed the first pass I do it again just to make sure !

Good luck whatever the cause may be .....

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by magnum force
        As some of you know we have been down Cornwall. Anyway the truck ran like a dream apart from a tank and a half of derv and veg to get there
        On the way back i took it over 80mph and with in 2 miles the temp went up and when we hit a steep hill on the m5 and it changed down a gear it went up even more. Soon as i let off the gas back down to 79mph the temp went back to normal. What the chuff is going on????
        Could it be the propeller on the water pump spinning at high revs??? ive got to sort this out guys its doin my head in. Ive even had Protons going by me

Mine does the same, 80mph and above for a sustained period of time the temp needle creeps up. The aerodynamics of the Surf at that speed won't help matters either!
        Check the colour of your transmission fluid, if it's brown it's not working efficiently and the heat will be transferred to the engine coolant.
        My fan has been locked up for two and a half years with no bother.
        A 2" body lift helps to cool the engine/transmission too!

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
          Phil did you find out what the noiserattle was you had when we stopped before doing the lanes where you got the vid cam out where we walked thru that tunnel
          No Rich i didnt, its gone now. Must have been some muck or somthing

Comment

No Rich i didnt, its gone now. Must have been some muck or somthing
            some of that foreign muck you brought down with you and left scattered around the countryside
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Whats the problem? the speed limit in this country is only 70mph!!!!!
              You wouldn't be trying to go any faster, Would you?
              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Mine does the same, 80mph and above for a sustained period of time the temp needle creeps up. The aerodynamics of the Surf at that speed won't help matters either!
                Check the colour of your transmission fluid, if it's brown it's not working efficiently and the heat will be transferred to the engine coolant.
                My fan has been locked up for two and a half years with no bother.
                A 2" body lift helps to cool the engine/transmission too!
                Hi Vince, The fluid is ok, i know that because when i put the new rad on a few weeks ago i forgot about the fluid and it went all over the drive. I have toped it up. And my fan has ben bolted up as well (if you remember)

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                  some of that foreign muck you brought down with you and left scattered around the countryside
                  HEHEHE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tintin
                    Whats the problem? the speed limit in this country is only 70mph!!!!!
                    You wouldn't be trying to go any faster, Would you?
                    Er!!!!!!! Yep.

Comment

apart from a pressure test the only thing i can suggest is ,is your back heater matrix still inline.mine did the same sort of thing till i replaced it,cept it got warmer at about 60 mph but only when the heating was switched to hot?
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Its probably just excessive strain on the engine, As far as the guage goes, RED= BAD! anything else is just operating temperate. Ideally smack bang in the middle! Anywhere else just means your taking it too far.

I think

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                          apart from a pressure test the only thing i can suggest is ,is your back heater matrix still inline.mine did the same sort of thing till i replaced it,cept it got warmer at about 60 mph but only when the heating was switched to hot?
                          No! gas test fine and rear heater not connected. Now ya know why its doin my head in. Every thing that needs to be done has.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                            Its probably just excessive strain on the engine, As far as the guage goes, RED= BAD! anything else is just operating temperate. Ideally smack bang in the middle! Anywhere else just means your taking it too far.

I think
                            Hi Rod, the thing i cant get my head round is the fact that before i got the rad blocked up off roading and the temp went up slightly the truck did 90/100 no probs

Comment

Hi Rod, the thing i cant get my head round is the fact that before i got the rad blocked up off roading and the temp went up slightly the truck did 90/100 no probs

well im going to give that a big "hmmmnn"

Perhaps there was some damage when the truck first overheated.
                              Im afraid with my limited knowledge i cant help much mate. I can just assume something has bit the dust. Lets hope if it is a problem it wont take your wallet down with you!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X