Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rack mount PC

i want to build a pc for playing music.

all it needs is to run 1 program (traktor Dj software) and have 2 USB sockets for an external HDD and a MIDI controller.

needs good cooling and be reliable (not freeze every 5 mins) for smooth music playback at high bitrates.

do i just get the bits i want and bolt them together??

how do i get an operating system (has to be windows for the software) that doesn't cost as much as buying a whole computer??

would i just be better off buying a cheap computer package and fitting it to a rack case??
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

oh, and don't need internal sound cards or any special graphics cards...

any slim monitors that i could mount in a flight case lid also??

Comment

Something cheap mate. Music, even at high bitrates can be done by a cheap PC whilst it's filing it's nails!

There are LCD monitors built into 1U slide out drawers. They have keyboard and trackball built in too.

This kinda thing...

http://www.comms-express.com/assets/...FRcGEgodDFSmPA
      Last edited by Apache; 14 August 2007, 00:01.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
        Something cheap mate. Music, even at high bitrates can be done by a cheap PC whilst it's filing it's nails!

There are LCD monitors built into 1U slide out drawers. They have keyboard and trackball built in too.

This kinda thing...

http://www.comms-express.com/assets/...FRcGEgodDFSmPA
        spot on, but a bit pricey! :shock:

i had my laptop freeze at 10:45 on saturday night so getting a bit paranoid!...

so a one purpose machine is what i want with no risk of any problems...

think it was an overheating problem cos i had the laptop sat in a flightcase lid so airflow was a bit restricted!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
          i had my laptop freeze at 10:45 on saturday night
          obviously i had a cd in reserve, a 5 second pause and my back timing was still spot on for time at the bar!!

hehehe!!... i'm great!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            spot on, but a bit pricey! :shock:

i had my laptop freeze at 10:45 on saturday night so getting a bit paranoid!...

so a one purpose machine is what i want with no risk of any problems...

think it was an overheating problem cos i had the laptop sat in a flightcase lid so airflow was a bit restricted!
            eBay will probably bring up chinese versions for much less money. No reason to suppose they're no good either.

A £300 Dell PC and an ex.Govt 19" rack case should finish it off.

Take a look at the cases and equipment housing section of an RS catalogue to get an idea of the sort of thing you'll need.

In my (ex) job, I used lots of just that sort of stuff for data aquisition PCs.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
            X